Just spinning off the rifle shooting forum,

Does anyone else have ideas for "new" merit badges? I suggested air rifle and blackpowder shooting as seperate badges. I can across an old scouter who suggested glass blowing and soap making (I made lye soap once-it wasn't pretty).

Any ideas or suggestions? Anyone thought of one and accually got it picked up by National?

How about:

Paleontology

Writing (fiction, non-fiction, poetry)

Team building and Leadership

Volunteerism

Self-Defense

Public Finance

Magic

Logistics and Problem Solving

Dance

Den Chief"ing"

Religions of the World

Governments of the World

Cultures of the World

I'm curious -- how well are "time sensitive" merit badges holding up . . . "computers" still relevant and challenging?,

atomic energy?, others?

Self defence is really cool (along with fencing) but that goes against the BSA policy regarding combat and contact sports. I think it all comes down to insurance. I know that computers was updated as was some of the animal science ones. They also added crime prevention which I though was a great idea.

Hey, is anyone else out there also really ticked off that signaling is no longer a merit badge. I mean-duh-that is a traditional scout skill. If they wanted to combine stuff to make the MB more "modern" then just do away with pioneering and make it part of camping. I am afraid that we will be going back to the 1970's handbook too if we go down that path (remember that disaster).

Paleontology...I like it but we'd be outvoted by the creationists who think that whole dinosaur thing is a scam.

I do think that Cooking, Swimming, and Lifesaving ought to be returned to the Eagle required list (no either/or choices)

Boys are Scouts for 7 yrs. - couldn't we set the expectation that they learn to swim to a certain standard?

I understand the argument about fitness, but maybe we need to swing a little bit back toward physically fit scouts. On the whole, our youth (and adults! present company included), aren't healthy enough. Seems like preparing for life long health and fitness is an excellent goal for Scouts.

Would the anti-dinos really wield such influence in a religiously-tolerant, knowledge based organization like BSA???

{ unsure, slightly cynical smirk ;) }(This message has been edited by johndaigler)

JimmyD said, "I disagree with swimming and life saving with being required because some people can't swim. Lifesaving can be diffcuilt especially if the kid is out of shape."

Scoutldr replies, "Well, duhhhh."

I guess we'll "Be Prepared"...as long as it's not too hard.

Can anyone explain to me why Boardsailing, Kayaking and Snorkeling are Individual Boy Scout Awards, and not Merit Badges? Seems to me there's more than enough scout interest to merit :) their elevation in status, the award requirements are as rigourous as many merit badges, and they certainly lend themselves to being taught at summer scout camps.

"I disagree with swimming and life saving with being required because some people can't swim. Lifesaving can be diffcuilt especially if the kid is out of shape."

If I recall correctly, when swimming and lifesaving were required MBs, if a scout could demonstrate a handicap or physical impairment that prevented him from completing the requirements of these MBs, he could apply for alternative MBs to be earned. Otherwise, scouts that wanted to reach the status (Rank, achievement, award) of Eagle scout were expected to complete these badges. I too think the elimination of these bages as absolute requirements significantly eroded the status of the Eagle badge. Not because of the specific skills one had to perform for these badges, but the discipline and tenacity required to develop those skills.

SA

I was one of those fat nerdy kids who would rather sit in his room and read a book than go out and ride bike or play baseball. This year at camp, I was struck that the majority of the kids looked just like I did when I was that age...bellies hanging over their bathing suit, flabby chests and love handles...but now from video games and junk food instead of reading. No wonder there's an epidemic of Type 2 Diabetes among teenagers now.

When I joined Scouts, I was transformed. I was still heavier than than the other kids, but I became fitter and managed to earn Swimming, Lifesaving, Marksmanship, Rowing, Canoeing, Three 50 Miler awards, Mile Swim, Red Cross Sr Lifesaving, and Water Safety Instructor. Was "awarded" the Eagle badge at age 16 and BSA Lifeguard and Lifeguard Counselor as a adult. Nobody gave me any slack along the way. You either met the requirements...or not.

Don't say it's too hard. I did it. Ya gotta want it.

SA is correct, alternative advancement requirements are available, but I think you need a Doctor's certification and Council approval. Being a couch potato won't get it.

Swimming and life saving haven't been absolutley required for about 15 years. I just checked by old BS hadnbook from 96. Says personal fitness or swimming or sports. Also it was still lifesaving or Emer. Prep. Now, Personal Fitness is requried plus I believe that the merit badge was changed so that it added an extra month for 3 months for the fitness workout part. Now its hiking or cycling or swimming. I think hiking is tough the way it is. Cycling now you have to bike 150 miles altogether. So if anything when they did change to the current required badges it added more physical fitness it did not detract.(This message has been edited by JimmyD)

I still think that swimming and lifesaving are essential skills for all scout. Being able to ride a bike is not.

Every scout in my troop is a Swimmer by the end of his first summer camp. That's our goal, and we always meet it.