Limit for Cub Scout nights of camping

13 hours ago, desertrat77 said:

We have some wonderful state parks that are far better than our council camps, by every measure.  But by having the council-approved list limited to council camps, the packs don't have much of a choice officially.  They'd love to camp at state camps but they gotta obey the rules.  

When I was on the council Cub Scout committee, I noted that the #1 council camp for Cubs did not meet standards since it did not have showers.  Was told the camp was grandfathered and had a waiver by the pro advisor for program. He stated if someone really wanted a shower, he would rig up a portable camp shower for them to use.

Since the OA is an approved council document, many packs assume the camps listed are approved.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dodge balls, water balloons, and sticks, but only if sharp or if the scouts might point them at other scouts while saying pew pew.

National seems to be working around the clock to turn the BSA into a big Tiger Cub Den. 

Language is but a social construct having no intrinsic meaning.  😎

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

When I was on the council Cub Scout committee, I noted that the #1 council camp for Cubs did not meet standards since it did not have showers.  Was told the camp was grandfathered and had a waiver by the pro advisor for program. He stated if someone really wanted a shower, he would rig up a portable camp shower for them to use.

Since the OA is an approved council document, many packs assume the camps listed are approved.

Our lodge has not published a camping guide.  You can see where this is going! 

On 10/14/2019 at 1:11 PM, walk in the woods said:

Does overnighter mean just one night?  

It's a yes or no question.  So, how bout you add some value and answer it.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/overnighter an overnight trip

It does have as the root word https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/overnight

overnight

adjective

Definition of overnight (Entry 2 of 4)

1: of, lasting, or staying the night

Examples of overnight in a Sentence

Adverb

He stayed overnight and went home the next day.

Imaginary conversation between two girl scout parents:

Mom A:   My daughter is doing a week of scout camp this summer.

Mom B:  Is she doing day camp or overnight camp?

Mom A:  She'll be doing overnight camp.   It will be the first time she's been away from family for a whole week.

• Haha 1
25 minutes ago, Treflienne said:

Imaginary conversation between two girl scout parents:

Mom A:   My daughter is doing a week of scout camp this summer.

Mom B:  Is she doing day camp or overnight camp? 

Mom A:  She'll be doing overnight camp.   It will be the first time she's been away from family for a whole week. 

Nobody ever claimed that we Yanks were masters of the English language!

19 hours ago, RichardB said:

I'd also add in here is the instructor syllabus for BALOO:  https://i9peu1ikn3a16vg4e45rqi17-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/510-03318-BALOO_web.pdf

While there are several uses of the term overnight in the document I'd point to Appendix MM.  The Sample Pack Camping Agenda modeling the program.   

Do samples have to be followed verbatim, or can they be modified to fit the pack? Of course this question is rhetorical.