Limit for Cub Scout nights of camping

I've now heard from two people, one being my DE, that cub scouts are not to camp more than one night. I would think it would be in the GSS, but can't find it (thought it would be on page 22). Anyone know for sure? Our pack likes to do two-night trips (since we bring so much stuff).

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dodge balls, water balloons, and sticks, but only if sharp or if the scouts might point them at other scouts while saying pew pew.

National seems to be working around the clock to turn the BSA into a big Tiger Cub Den. 

Language is but a social construct having no intrinsic meaning.  😎

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, Scouter_Chris said:

I've now heard from two people, one being my DE, that cub scouts are not to camp more than one night. I would think it would be in the GSS, but can't find it (thought it would be on page 22). Anyone know for sure? Our pack likes to do two-night trips (since we bring so much stuff).

That sure does sound astoundingly stupid, doesn't it?  

Yet, I can see how someone comes away with that interpretation.  I'm looking at the GSSS and I see numerous references to cub scout packs doing "overnight camping" (but without a clear definition of that term).  Further down, a distrinction is drawn for Scouts BSA units, which do "weekend camping".  See:  https://www.scouting.org/health-and-safety/gss/gss03/ 

Sigh.  Sounds like another needless controversy brewing....

10 minutes ago, mrkstvns said:

Sigh.  Sounds like another needless controversy brewing....

Especially since it also described resident camp as 

• Tiger, Wolf, and Bear Cub Scouts, and Webelos Scouts may participate in a resident overnight camping program operating under BSA National Camping School–trained leadership and managed by the council.

Sounds like someone is over reading.

@RichardB, I think the confusion is over the term "overnight".   Is it limited to one night, as in, "go camp overnight and come home tomorrow"?  Or does it mean overnight for as many nights as you want?  Also, the rule used to be "Cubs only do family camping", but your chart above shows family camping and "den/pack overnighters"...can you define the difference, please?

• Upvote 1
22 minutes ago, malraux said:

Found where it came from: https://www.scouting.org/programs/cub-scouts/activities/cub-scout-camping/

“Packs may not conduct campouts longer then overnight. “

that said, I’m not sure how binding those pages are. I know the pages on the ranks gets interpreted incorrectly about how the webelos program works. 

So reading the referenced "Pack Overnight Campout Site Appraisal Form", assume you can camp in your backyard, if it's astroturf like the Brady Bunch and nobody is throwing a ball.  Anywhere else would be tough.

Wonder what the actual definition of "hazards" may be.  Would a footbridge, lake, or hill be a hazard??

1. The camping site is clean and safe from hazards. __________ __________
2. The site is not located near any natural or manmade hazards. __________ __________
3. Campsite areas are available for tents. __________ __________
4. Facilities are available for proper sanitary disposal of garbage. __________ __________
5. Drinking water from an approved source is provided at convenient locations. __________ __________
6. Emergency medical services (EMS) are available within 30 minutes from site. __________ __________
7. Cellular phone service is available. __________ __________
8. If fires are permitted, an adequate fire lay area is provided. __________ __________
9. Any individual site hookups provided for electricity, water, or sewer meet
all appropriate local and state health codes. __________ __________
10. Each family site is located within 300 feet of a sanitary toilet facility. __________ __________
11. Shelter is available for program activities during inclement weather. 

Have you been out on a camp out lately with any Millennials? They are the hazards, lol. Insisting on relying on phone apps for weather calls while never looking up at what is brewing over their heads...   I have literally had someone looking at their phone tell me that we could carry on no problem while purple clouds and cloud to cloud lightning was over their shoulder. 

I would say this is a new rule, but it was the rule way back when. HOWEVER councils routinely offer 2 night camps for packs. And there is no formal definition of "overnight camp out" And ever since packs have been allowed to camp on their own, mid to late 1990s, most packs do a Friday to Sunday camp out.

edited: I see national is differeentiating between "overnighter" and "weekend"

Edited by Eagle94-A1

My understanding is that the difference between "pack" camping and "family" camping is that in "family" camping each cub scout has at least one parent or guardian present. 

And family camping does't have any such one-night limits, does it?

6 hours ago, Scouter_Chris said:

Thank them very much for their input and then camp two nights.

There's no such rule.

31 minutes ago, Liz said:

My understanding is that the difference between "pack" camping and "family" camping is that in "family" camping each cub scout has at least one parent or guardian present. 

And family camping does't have any such one-night limits, does it?

There's no such difference defined anywhere.  "family" and "pack" are simply common terms.  The only rules that apply are the Cub Scout camping rules where there are no such rules on duration.