What is your Favorite High adventure base that allows 13 year olds?

At most HA camps, the requirement is age 14+ (or 13 and completed 8th grade).

Rocky Mountain High Adventure Base in Colorado is a year younger.  From their leader's guide:
All youth participants must be 13 years old by January 1, or have completed the seventh grade before attending camp. All participants must be registered members of the Boy Scouts of America. It is the responsibility of the crew leader to ensure that all qualifications are met.

Edited by mrkstvns
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, TMSM said:

Sea Base is now 13 and rank does not matter. We saw a lot of very immature scouts at Sea Base Out island last year and it was very disappointing. 

You are correct.  ...and 13 does seem too young given their program. 

From the Sea Base eligibility guidelines:
Participants must be 13 years of age prior to their arrival at Sea Base. Participants who would turn 13 during their adventure are not eligible to participate. AGE REQUIREMENTS CANNOT BE RELAXED.

• Like 1

Another good option for you might be the Great Lakes Sailing Adventure offered by Michigan Crossroads Council.   Sail the Great Lakes on a 52-foot twin-masted sailing vessel?  Yeahhh, that sounds pretty awesome!

Looks like they not only allow 13-year olds, but the scout doesn't have to turn 13 until September 1 (which means 12 year olds turning 13 at the end of the summer). (At least that's how I interpret it...)

Info:  https://scoutingevent.com/attachment/BSA272/document_15205557840_1999.pdf  

• Thanks 1
On 10/9/2019 at 5:56 AM, Eagle94-A1 said:

Unless things have changed 13 and First Class are the minimum requirements to do a HA base.

Some bases are 14+, some are 13 by Jan 1st the year of event and completion of 8th grade and some are 13 by event participation. I even seen one base that said 12yo by Jan 1st the year of event during some research. Some summer camps are coming up with “older scout” itineraries too, like Many Point in MN.   

I agree that 12 and 13yo is to young for some programs, and it can take away from the 14+ scouts experience.  I am doing research and trying to figure the best balance for my situation, but am also finding that researching camps is difficult because there seems to be some hidden gems out there that don’t show up on a google search. :) 

9 hours ago, Scouter4Family said:

... there seems to be some hidden gems out there that don’t show up on a google search. :) 

And that is why we call it scouting and not browsing!

I've mentioned this elsewhere. If you've got a unique group (as I did with my co-ed crew). It really is worth your while to call the directors of the bases that you are most interested in. They have an idea of what works and doesn't work for younger kids. Sometimes, knowing your concern, they will make sure you have staff who are sensitive to your situation.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Scouter4Family said:

I am doing research and trying to figure the best balance for my situation, but am also finding that researching camps is difficult because there seems to be some hidden gems out there that don’t show up on a google search. :) 

Quite right.  Google search will turn up some possibilities, but it misses a lot and your search results are badly organized with those camps that had the most SEO-aware webmaster showing up first (not camps that are the best, or that have the most exciting programs).

A good site to begin your search for all those "hidden gems" is https://tap.scouting.org/

Near the bottom of the page is a link to "Council High Adventure Camps".  This is an excellent resource listing more HA camps than you ever knew existed!  

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, mrkstvns said:

A good site to begin your search for all those "hidden gems" is https://tap.scouting.org/

Near the bottom of the page is a link to "Council High Adventure Camps".  This is an excellent resource listing more HA camps than you ever knew existed!  

This is Perfect, Mrkstvns!  Thanks so much!

I don't know if BSA made a mistake in their California listing, or what, but the link they have doesn't seem to go anywhere that's good for high adventure, HOWEVER, a different council than BSA points to DOES conduct outstanding high adventure programs on Catalina Island.

The USEFUL link to these is:
http://www.campemeraldbay.org/emerald-bay/high-adventure-program