Webelos insignia on tan uniform

My Webelos Scout is outgrowing her blue uniform. Time to move up. 

The insignia guide ( https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34760.webelosscout.final.pdf ) gives three options for rank insignia. 

She should be earning her Webelos badge within the next 60 days or less. In the meantime, what I'm inclined to do is center the diamond shaped Bear badge on the pocket. I am unclear on whether this is an allowed configuration. The guide shows the diamond shaped Webelos badge on the pocket as an option, but I'm not clear on whether it's OK for that to just be the most recent rank earned or whether my options before she earns the Webelos badge are all 3 of her diamond badges (Bobcat, Wolf, Bear) or no badge at all. 

I'd rather not put all 3 badges on the uniform because they may leave some sewing marks that won't be covered by the oval Webelos badge or future Scout badges. 

Tiger badge was not earned, if that matters, only because they weren't allowing girls in Cub Scouts until she was in 2nd grade. 

Webelos Scouts have the option of wearing the oval-shaped Webelos badge by itself on the tan shirt only; or the diamond-shaped Webelos emblem along with other rank badges on either the tan or navy blue shirt; or if the Tiger Cub emblem was earned, the Webelos diamond- shaped emblem may be worn on either the tan or navy blue shirt by itself and centered on the left pocket.

Screen Shot 2019-10-06 at 5.35.22 PM.png

That's good to know. Unfortunately, it doesn't exactly answer the question of whether I can place any rank insignia on the tan uniform other than the Webelos rank. 😕 It doesn't show any other options, but it doesn't appear to prohibit it either (and the diamond shaped previous ranks were previously allowed). 

If you attache the 4 diamond awards with a basting stitch, it won't leave any marks.

On the off chance that a few of the holes don't seem to want to close on their own, if you scrub the stitch lines with stiff bristle tooth or laundry brush, it'll push the fibers back into shape.

I've resewn patches onto the same shirt many times that way.  The only time you really end up with a problem is when you use a very tight stitch to apply the patches.

P.S.

When you get to the point of applying "Position of Responsibilty" patches on the shoulder, I strongly suggest just sewing a 2"x2" chunk of velcro on there, then using velcro on any position patches your kid gets.  Sewing a new patch onto the sleeve every 3-6 months gets old really fast.

Edited by elitts
  • Thanks 1

The current Webelos Scout Uniform Inspection Sheet doesn't show any options other than the Webelos and Arrow of Light rank badges (found on the BSA Resources, Forms & Applications page).

Not sure how correct this is, but I have heard that some people are using the plastic rank diamond emblem holder and hanging it from the right pocket as a temporary patch.

Huh. It also doesn't show the blue uniform as an option for Webelos any longer. I don't see that changing any time soon though. A Scout is Thrifty. The "grace period" to let kids outgrow their blue uniform before they switch to tan is pretty useful. 

In other news, I am trying to decide whether to save or pass along this blue uniform. I'm afraid my petite youngest child might be in 6th grade before she grows into it. 😛 

Huh. I guess I missed that memo. 

On the other hand, "Once an official uniform, always an official uniform," so I don't really see it as "enforceable." Overall though, I don't like the change. I think the gradual phase-in during the Webelos years makes more economical sense. Families with the resources to run down to the Scout Shop and buy a new shirt were welcome to do so, and other families were welcome to wait until the blue uniform was outgrown. 

Oh well. I opted for the lazy and apparently currently correct route of leaving the rank insignia off the tan uniform entirely. Sewing badges on pockets is a PITA. I think when she earns the Webelos badge I'll sew some Velcro on it and be done with it. 

Technically the Webelos/rank diamond can still be worn on the tan uniform as it was official from 1984-2018 therefore once its official it's always official in the BSA just like the blue uniform with the Webelos neckerchief is still officiall if not "current". Just like the 1980-2008 tan shirts are still official... even the pre 1980 khaki green shirts can still be worn if in serviceable condition and with patches of the correct era are worn with it. 

19 minutes ago, GreenBarHill said:

Technically the Webelos/rank diamond can still be worn on the tan uniform as it was official from 1984-2018 therefore once its official it's always official in the BSA just like the blue uniform with the Webelos neckerchief is still officiall if not "current". Just like the 1980-2008 tan shirts are still official... even the pre 1980 khaki green shirts can still be worn if in serviceable condition and with patches of the correct era are worn with it. 

Here's the quote from the Insignia Guide

Discontinued Boy Scouts of America uniforms and insignia may be worn in keeping with the applicable uniform and insignia guidelines as of the time of their production, so long as condition of original insignia does not detract from the neatness of the uniform.

So, given that the Welebos diamond was wearable on a tan uniform at the time, it's still wearable if you can get one.

• Upvote 1
45 minutes ago, GreenBarHill said:

Technically the Webelos/rank diamond can still be worn on the tan uniform as it was official from 1984-2018 ....

Actually it was official from August 1, 1984 to circa 2008 (if memory serves) with the full Cub Scout Diamond (Bobcat, Wolf, Bear, and Webelos patches) and after that with the full diamond or alone until June 1 2015. June 1, 2015 was when the Cub Scout Program was updated, and Webelos are only suppose to wear the tan and green uniform. But as mentioned Vintage uniforms are allowed. 

• Upvote 1