2021 National Jamboree—NOW CANCELLED

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not sure what the age of the tent has to do with it, but we have some old tents they could use, if that would help.

If I have to treat you like a Bobcat Cub Scout I can. Please do me a favor and delete your reply. When i see you have, I will delete this. 

Thanks so much for your response!  My kid really wants to go and if I have to troll the council website for when they put out a link, it may be a good, long while.  I want to make sure he signs up in

14 minutes ago, mrkstvns said:

BSA is gearing up for the 2021 National Jamboree.  The theme will be "Face the Challenge".

Well...I guess they have retired "Scout Me In"??

Edited by Jameson76
37 minutes ago, carebear3895 said:

Scout Me In was a failure from the get go. National truly never got behind it other than a few social media posts. 

I'm fine with Scout Me In. For not being behind it, I'm seeing signs with that slogan in front of a few COs. But, you aren't going to get much more than that unless some generous donor purchases TV spots for their council. In any case, "Scout Me In" is still the BSA ad campaign.

"Face the Challenge" is the Jambo slogan. Which, I think is a terrible slogan. By now everyone knows that a reclaimed strip mine is tough to walk around in, and the only challenge is ambient temperature showers and long lines at the big zip. I would have preferred an image of a couple of scouts shaking hands at the top of a climbing wall and a saying like, "On the Brink of New Friendship!" Or, some scouts hanging on to a raft, "In the Drink with New Friends!" :)

The fact remains that the most exciting thing at Jamborees is the excitement the scouts bring. And that excitement hinges on scouts from different parts of the country showing brotherly love for one another. If BSA does not market that, it won't sell.

• 5 months later...

Can anyone explain the difference between registering my scout as a participant vs. registering him as a participant of our council's contigent?  (not yet live to do online yet)

I checked a neighboring council's page and their contingent  is taking 160 and cost is 1700 per scout.  Registering as a scout costs 1200 on the jambo page, so ??? I don't know what difference it would make aside from the extra $500 (assuming travel expenses?) cost.  Do regular registrants get grouped together vs. a contingent of scouts you could potentially know?  Summit is only 4 hours from our house, so we could theoretically take our scout to/from if needed. 

Thanks for any insight.  We just want to make sure our scout has the best possible time.  Our troop has no plans to go (other than if families want to visit type of thing).

There is no difference.  You register on the national Jamboree site to register your Scout as a participant to the Jamboree. He/she will be part of your council's contingent. There are no "regular registrants" or "lone scouts" participating in the Jamboree; they're all part of a council contingent.

The $1,175 cost you see quoted is the national fee to participate in the Jamboree.  That's the portion that everyone pays. Unit gear is provided as part of that fee: tents, cots, picnic tables, dining flys, cooking equipment, meals, and paying for the expense of putting on the Jamboree (all the activities, etc.). The only gear the participants have to bring is their own personal gear: clothing, swim gear, uniforms, toiletries, patches for trading, money for souvenirs, etc.

Your council, as part of the contingent they will be sending, will add extra fees to that $1,175, and that extra amount is different for every council.  It costs money to send the contingent to the Jamboree, be it airplane, bus, etc., so the costs for that will be charged to each recipient. Then, there are all the extras that will get added on, and they're council-dependent, too: Council Jamboree Shoulder Patches (JSPs), t-shirts, patches for trading, a duffel bag for all their personal gear, a day pack, possibly a side trip to somewhere, etc.  Depending on all those factors, as well as how far away the council is from The Summit, it can be an extra $500-1,500 above and beyond the national $1,175 cost.

All Scouts participate as a member of their council's contingent. Each council has been allocated a number of units depending on their size. Our council, for example, has been allocated 3 male Scouts BSA troops, one female Scouts BSA troop, and a Venture patrol. They will all travel together and will consist of Scouts from all over your council. They'll travel together. Even though The Summit may only be 4 hours away for you (we're only 5 hours away), they'll all travel together, likely by bus. No individual drop-offs are permitted.

There will be a couple of shakedown camps in the months leading up to the Jamboree, where the participants and adult leadership can get to know each other, get grouped into patrols, select their leadership, do swim tests, and learn how things will work at the Jamboree, which is likely a different experience than they are used to with their home unit.

Thanks so much for your response!  My kid really wants to go and if I have to troll the council website for when they put out a link, it may be a good, long while.  I want to make sure he signs up in enough time to secure a spot.

:)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mom2Scout said:

Thanks so much for your response!  My kid really wants to go and if I have to troll the council website for when they put out a link, it may be a good, long while.  I want to make sure he signs up in enough time to secure a spot.

:)

My bet is that coming off of World Jambo, and other scouts "getting back" their missed year at Philmont, and membership collapse, you won't have to worry about full contingents. But, it's definitely worth it to start paying early and spreading the costs across as many months as they allow.

One more note, there is no registering with the council.  Once you complete the national registration process the council then "approves" your registration and you are part of their contingent.  

Also, there is almost certainly a committee formed or forming to steer all the preparation for your council's contingent.  If you want to have a say in how things happen, or at a minimum really understand the process, volunteer to be on the committee.  One of the professional scouters in the council is assigned to the committee, call your council, find out who that is and tell them you want to volunteer.  

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone else concerned about the potential affect of COVID on both number of folks signing up for the National Jamboree and threatening the event from taking place?  There is a decent amount of time between now and then but the thought has crossed my mind.   It would be another huge blow to an already injured BSA.  

Edited by acema606

@acema606, concerns are valid. A vaccine may be rolled out by then. But folks will be addled by this Pandemic. The economy will need to pivot more than it ever has for the 2% of BSA's membership who attends these sort of things to all be able to afford it.

That said, Summit is putting on a summer camp program, so they will have worked on best practices under pandemic conditions.The unknown is how much they can upscale what they are doing now to the level of a Jamboree.