2021 National Jamboree—NOW CANCELLED

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm not sure what the age of the tent has to do with it, but we have some old tents they could use, if that would help.

If I have to treat you like a Bobcat Cub Scout I can. Please do me a favor and delete your reply. When i see you have, I will delete this. 

Thanks so much for your response!  My kid really wants to go and if I have to troll the council website for when they put out a link, it may be a good, long while.  I want to make sure he signs up in

That's......odd.

This is pure speculation, but I think COVID-19 is being used as a scapegoat here for something else. Especially when OA's Momentum is happening in August and the Summit HA base will still be in operation. 

Edited by carebear3895
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, carebear3895 said:

This is pure speculation, but I think COVID-19 is being used as a scapegoat here for something else. Especially when OA's Momentum is happening in August and the Summit HA base will still be in operation. 

I had the same thought.  At a recent Roundtable, there was mention that National was running a budget deficit currently above $100 million.  My speculation, admittedly not knowing the exact planning and spending timelines for major national events, is now was the time when expenditures were going to start for preparation... and there might not be available capital or credit to cover them.  Potential scary cross relevance to the Chapter 11 thread elsewhere on the forum?

28 minutes ago, CynicalScouter said:

Not sure where that is coming from, is there a source?

It was just conveyed verbally at our Roundtable.  That’s all I’ve got.

Edited by BAJ
Hit post too soon.

I have been looking forward for 3 years to experience this with my son.  He has been fundraising for it delivering a lot of mulch.  It is really a depressing time.

I am so very happy he got to experience World Jamboree last year.

• Like 1
On 7/14/2020 at 4:17 PM, carebear3895 said:

That's......odd.

Not really. The bulk of registrations come in the Spring after registration opens (in the Fall). All of the recruiting is done during Spring and Summer events; Camporees, Summer Camp etc. I am the Jambo Chair for my Council and I have talked to many families that were either waiting to see how Covid-19 shook out or were concerned about the financial impact (current and potential future) of Covid and had not yet registered. The Spring is also when we had planned to do several fundraising events for the Scouts to participate. Obviously, that did not happen.

With Jambo costing between $1,500 and $3,000 (depending on transportation cost), losing that much fund raising time was crippling. Particularly since we are seeing increase in Covid cases, putting Summer and Fall fundraising at risk. 

There was real concern that we could end up in a situation where would have far less than 10K Scouts at Jambo and that would be a financial disaster. 

Edited by HelpfulTracks
  • Upvote 1

On a personal note, I am very bummed out. This was likely the last major event that my whole family could do together (with my children as youths). My son heads off to college in a few weeks and my daughter is upper classman in high school. We were all going to serve on staff. 

NOAC may still be an option, depending on how things shake out. 

Edited by HelpfulTracks
typo
15 minutes ago, HelpfulTracks said:

On a personal note, I am very bummed out. This was likely the last major event that my whole family could do together (with my children as youths). My son heads off to college in a few weeks and my daughter is upper clansman in high school. We were all going to serve on staff. 

Your daughter is an upper clansman!  :eek:

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, HelpfulTracks said:

Oh crap! Serious typo. Fixed, thank you!

I hope her college doesn't see that post.  Considering the academic climate of political correctness nowadays, she might have some splaining to do!  :confused: