gettysburg trail award

3 minutes ago, rickmay said:

when was the Gettysburg trail award founded? before 1985?

Probably.

BSA let its historic trails program get overgrown with weeds and most of the trails on the "officially approved" historic trails list are very OLD.  (In some cases, calling the local council gets a response of "Never heard of it!")

The Gettysburg Trail is different from most of those on the BSA list....it appears to be well documented and supported by the local council with good, useful info about their trail.  Wish I were in the mid-Atlantic area --- I'd definitely want to hike that trail!

See:
https://newbirthoffreedom.org/programs/gettysburg-historic-trails/ 

These things usually get started by citizens who form trail associations to ensure that their favorite walk-about is preserved for posterity. Sometimes the awards pre-date the association sometimes it's the other way around. Sometimes the association fades and a larger organization takes up the mantle. Unless someone from NBOF council replies here, your best bet is to make some phone calls to their HQ and ask if anyone has historical documentation of the award. Ask if the medals are serialized. If so, there might be a press release for when the first medal was given.

I'm wondering if the NBOF makes these awards available to GS/USA troops as well.

2 hours ago, qwazse said:

I'm wondering if the NBOF makes these awards available to GS/USA troops as well.

I'm not seeing any mention of it, but I found another page that talks about the historic trail awards available to Boy Scouts, and further down the page, has a section for Girl Scouts which basically says they can feel free to do a walk (but no mention of whether they get anything out of it beyond a good cardio workout).
https://www.gblth.com/group-scouting 

2 hours ago, mrkstvns said:

I'm not seeing any mention of it, but I found another page that talks about the historic trail awards available to Boy Scouts, and further down the page, has a section for Girl Scouts which basically says they can feel free to do a walk (but no mention of whether they get anything out of it beyond a good cardio workout).
https://www.gblth.com/group-scouting  

It could, once again, be emblematic of the two organizations unwilling to "play nice." That's not to say that volunteers wouldn't still arrange to acquire the awards for any GS who voices interest in them. But, any public mention of that possibility would rankle some exec on either side of this posturing.

There's only so much that you can learn from web pages.