Life @ 17.55 (or Star @ 17.05 or 1st Class @ 16.75)

I did the math with a scout earning Life and he has 5 months until turning 18.

It was a little discouraging because he said he wanted to earn Eagle, but he really wasn't paying attention to deadlines -- especially because he counted on summer camp to earn badges that would have been better earned with a counselor. So, I encouraged him to stay positive and still lean in to scouting. I told him to think about the badges he'd wished he'd earned and go for it.

Along those lines, what awards might you suggest to a scout whose remaining tenure precludes rank advancement?

3 minutes ago, qwazse said:

I did the math with a scout earning Life and he has 5 months until turning 18.

It was a little discouraging because he said he wanted to earn Eagle, but he really wasn't paying attention to deadlines -- especially because he counted on summer camp to earn badges that would have been better earned with a counselor. So, I encouraged him to stay positive and still lean in to scouting. I told him to think about the badges he'd wished he'd earned and go for it.

Along those lines, what awards might you suggest to a scout whose remaining tenure precludes rank advancement?

Mmmm...

Maybe just fun things like Motorboating, Shotgun Shooting, or White Water.

If he's actually up for a challenge, a Hornaday might be a boast-worthy achievement, or maybe a Supernova...

• Upvote 1

Find a council/camp that does ATV riding and maybe the pistol markmanship course.

Go to a high adventure camp like Philmont, but gotta find one that is open at this time of year which prob doesn't exist.

Earn the National Outdoor Awards or some other awards that no other scout in his troop has ever earned.

Earn all the merit badges related to what he wants to do when he grows up/goes to college/gets a job.

Do more service hours, or hiking or backpacking or insert thing here than anyone else in his unit, district, council.

Have him help along other scouts who are also on deck to miss their Eagle by a month or so.  

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, 5yearscouter said:

Find a council/camp that does ATV riding and maybe the pistol markmanship course.

I particularly like this one...

Anything that is new and different is a great opportunity to deliver on the promise of "adventure" (which is mighty hard to do if your troop  just keeps going to the same local merit badge summer camp.

I've heard that Indian Nations Council in Oklahoma has a camp that offers Jet Skis   (Z-Base....aka, Zink Scout Ranch).

8 hours ago, mashmaster said:

Too me the National Outdoor Activity awards are an awesome thing to strive for.

I've been trying to get my son interested in them, but he has less than zero interest in trying to re-create logs of every single scouting activity he's ever done. 

Depends on the Scout, their interest and what they have already accomplished, but some that come to mind

• Hornaday
  • National Medal for Outdoor Achievement (which requires 3 Outdoor awards + other requirements)

Both of those are rare awards and can be earned by youth until age 21

3 hours ago, mrkstvns said:

I've been trying to get my son interested in them, but he has less than zero interest in trying to re-create logs of every single scouting activity he's ever done. 

Understood,  best to keep the log from the beginning.  But it can be down by reviewing calendars.