I'd love to see such temporary insignia on your right pocket! Especially if it's relevant for how you'd likely be serving scouts at an event.

But, just so you know you're not alone in asking, and you are worthy of a knowledgeable reply let's give a nod to Mike Walton:

... Red Cross and NRA (National Rifle Association) insignia and medals; activity emblems, hiking trail medals and patches made by outside sources; and special religious awards patches.

All of these emblems are considered "temporary insignia" by the BSA. There's more information on the Badge and Uniform Site about temporary insignia.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, TazDevil22 said:

I thought the BSA has agreements with the NRA and USA Archery.  As a result I thought they can be worn.  But reading the article it states it cannot be worn.  Thanks all. 

I think that if someone is complaining about the lack of a fleur de lis on your temporary insignia patch, they've missed the point.

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, TazDevil22 said:

I thought the BSA has agreements with the NRA and USA Archery.  As a result I thought they can be worn.  But reading the article it states it cannot be worn.  Thanks all. 

@TazDevil22, not sure where you got that from the article that I shared. I read the opposite. What Mike is describing in http://www.scoutinsignia.com/tmppatch.htm under "Exceptions" are insignia that are not necessarily designed for the right pocket, but may be worn there. The bottom line:

Such insignia items shall be general in nature, of good taste, and reflective of the experience the Scout, Venturer, volunteer or professional participated or provided support to.

But, if in doubt, give your local Scout Executive a call. I'm pretty sure that your question will be a refreshing change of pace!

Curious, I had assumed any and all temporary and otherwise non-uniform patches (like aquatics and equipment decorations) could be placed on the back of the merit badge sash but the above link would suggest otherwise.

Anyone aware of something more recent or definitive? That was posted back in 2011 and last updated 2014.

There used to be a mention in the Uniforming Guide that mentioned the Distinguished Expert Medal from NRA in same position as Eagle and other medals.  It no longer states that.  So, I am not aware of any official guidance that allows it.

Having said that, I have never been, nor plan to be, a Uniform Police. (If you catch my drift.......)  ;)

I have a shirt I wear on the range with all my NRA and USAA insignia.

w

• Thanks 1