Eagle Scout Rank or Award?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boleta,

I'll pretend to be Eamonn for a moment. All we have is your word that this article was published. I called my local library and they have no record of that magazine ever being published. If we do accept your word that the article was publishe (ahem) in that (ahem) magazine, how do we know that the (ahem) author didn't just invent these "facts"?

Without reference to BSA publications or verification from my DE, I refuse to accept your explanation.

FOG, No, I did not lie. You are boorish. And as an Eagle Scout I REALLY resent your implications.

But since you insist.

Maybe you can find these books in your local Scout library:

Boy Scouts of America Official Handbook by ET Seton and LG Sir RSS Baden-Powell KCB 1910, Page 11, "Test for Scout Badges Tenderfoot... Second Class... First Class."

Page 14, "Badges of Merit" 14 listed.

Page 19, "Medals

Bronze Cross... For saving life at risk to own. Silver Cross... Medal of Merit..."

and "the Silver Wolf".

Boy Scouts of America the Official Handbook for Boys 1911,

Page 16-17, "The Three Classes of Scouts... Tenderfoot... Second-class Scout... First-class Scout."

Page 23-43, "The Merit Badges"

Page 43, "Life Scout The life scout badge will be given to all first-class scouts who have qualified for the following five merit badges: first aid, athletics, life-saving, personal health, and public health.

Star Scout The star scout badge will be given to the first-class scout who has qualified for ten merit badges. The ten include the list of badges under life scout.

Eagle Scout Any first-class scout qualifying for twenty-one merit badges will be entitled to wear the highest scout merit badge... and represents the all-round perfect scout."

ps The first 9 Eagle Scouts in 1912 were, Arthur Eldred (21 MBs), Earl Marx (21 MBs and achieved Life and Star), Roy Young (24 MBs), Sidney Clapp (31 MBs and first adult to earn the Eagle), Robert T. Pleasants (24 MBs), Leon VanVliet (24 MBs), Bertram VanVliet (21 MBs), JS Langthorn (23 MBs), Francis Edwards (22 MBs).(This message has been edited by boleta)

"And as an Eagle Scout I REALLY resent your implications."

Let's see. . . I know one Eagle who is in prison for molesting a five year old girl, another Eagle who narrowly avoided prison for insurance fraud and arson, and anothe who has been unfaithful to each of his five wives.

"You are boorish."

And you are a humorless twit.

Note:

People write much more and do a better job of writing when the antithesis to their thesis is available. It is a type of Hegalian dialogue that spirals off into space. Without our nemesis, we quickly disintegrate and have little to say or we speak to ourselves and those answers are well known to the author.

FB

"You guys are starting to sound like Wheeler!"

Although I've read Neitsche and Socrates in the original Klingon, I'm not fond of quoting philosophers. Maybe it's because I killed too many brain cells in college and have to use the remaining ones for important things like drool control.

I've read Wheeler and this is nothing like that. Someone asks a legitimate question about the Eagle Rank being described as an Award. Since I knew the historical context of why it was called an award and that it was originally not a rank, I thought I would share that with the Forum.

The "conflict" that followed is nothing new and centers on the bizarre sense of humor of our senior curmudgeon.