parent rank pins

Nice to see we're getting back to splitting hairs over semantics. The fact is, if your scouts and the scouts of some other troop wanted to compete for whose scoutmasters scored highest on uniform inspection, and they asked me or TLS  to judge, we'd dock points for "flair" just like we'd expect someone to dock us.

Now, for each parent who actually does wear those pins at work/church/gym/bar, I might give points back ... :D

We are all victims of De La Renta's third-world-general look. The fact that 70 years later "flair" means something to us in the context of uniforming indicates that he wasn't entirely wrong.

Edited by qwazse
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Actually, parent pins shouldn't be worn on the uniform, and there's really nothing to be gained by doing so. Let your child represent him- or herself in the youth uniform. You best represent the Scout

I think that there are many better places to wear that parent pin.  When you are in uniform everyone knows that you are supportive of your daughter, the Scout. What about when you aren't in uniform? H

Officially....no. But personally I have seen them on the shirt collar flaps and never said a word.  Seems perfectly acceptable to me.

On 9/27/2019 at 3:20 PM, mrkstvns said:

Well, Latin Scot, you're right. That's what the policy says, but don't you think that maybe the policy is the MINIMUM amount of Flair we should put on our uniforms?  And maybe some of us might want to express ourselves a little more loudly....

Look at perdidochas over there....he has 37 pieces of Flair on his uniform.

No, I'm not saying you need to add lots of blinking lights and clown emblems to your uniform....unless maybe you feel it lets you be you....

Why do I feel like these discussions of rogue uniform practices always sound so much like Jennifer Aniston getting a lecture about her "Flair" in the 90s flick, "Office Space"...

Actually, the only flair I have is the two Eagle Dad pins, and the three Eagle Mentor pins (and sometimes a temporary patch, usually a Camporee patch). 

• Downvote 1
2 minutes ago, perdidochas said:

Actually, the only flair I have is the two Eagle Dad pins, and the three Eagle Mentor pins (and sometimes a temporary patch, usually a Camporee patch). 

I've been meaning to talk to you about your flair...

For the record BSA supply stopped selling those Parent Ribbons a number of years ago and replaced it with a large leather necklace which cost twice as much as the ribbons.  I've never seen anyone wearing these.  Please bring back the Ribbons.  

• Upvote 1
15 hours ago, reeddma said:

For the record BSA supply stopped selling those Parent Ribbons a number of years ago and replaced it with a large leather necklace which cost twice as much as the ribbons.  I've never seen anyone wearing these.  Please bring back the Ribbons.  

We recently cleaned out our storage unit and I finally found my jewelry box which disappeared when we moved. While I had been hoping to find my wedding ring within, alas, that is still missing - but I found something far more valuable: My Proud Parent ribbon full of Parent Pins from Tiger to Life. ❤️ It went a long way toward making me feel better about the idea that I'll never see my wedding ring again... 

19 hours ago, reeddma said:

Back in the day, we used green ribbon and a straight pin for the Mothers' Pins as they were called.

I personally despise the new necklaces as they are designed for Cub Scouts and Scouts, BSA. I am sorry but it is two distinct programs. The two programs need their own ribbons/necklaces.

On a uniform note, There is no prohibition on wearing the necklace with the uniform. Although I still think the leather rounder temp patch with the mentor and parents pin is better.

• Upvote 2

I think that there are many better places to wear that parent pin.  When you are in uniform everyone knows that you are supportive of your daughter, the Scout. What about when you aren't in uniform? How do you express it then? 

My dad was an ASM the entire time I was a scout. He later was SM for many years after I was gone.  I never felt like he didn't support me because he didn't wear a pin on his uniform.  I was super proud when he had his pin on at church or work though. 

Lastly, I would ask that you think about your role when you are in uniform.  When you are in uniform you are not being dad, you are being a Scouter.  I strongly believe that it would serve your daughter best if she was one of your scouts while you were in uniform.  It is a struggle that all scouter dads (and moms) deal with.

Proper uniforming has a purpose, and these discussions turn into the same thing pretty much every time, but I don't think we should pick and choose which uniform guidelines we follow and which ones we ignore. 

• Upvote 4
  • 1 year later...
On 9/27/2019 at 1:56 AM, The Latin Scot said:

Actually, parent pins shouldn't be worn on the uniform, and there's really nothing to be gained by doing so.

"Nothing to be gained..."

Except that the child sees their parent proudly wearing the child's token of affection to their parent and feeling accepted thereby.

Dang, hopefully Scouting does not promote a child's love of their parent. (See, William Proxmire, Wisconsin Senator).

Were that to happen, everyone might love one another.

And there would be no war.

Edited by SiouxRanger
spelling error

I am normally pretty steady, but those using the uniform rules of National (in my estimation seeking to elevate their own importance within the program over trifles), affect an attitude that any trivial or minor deviation from National's "rules" constitutes a point of attack against the alleged offender.

So if some scout or adult offends National's rules on Eagle Scout Pins (Mom, Dad, Mentor), what are we to do?

Those pins are revoked?

Eagle Scout status is revoked?

I have been the fortunate recipient of several Mentor Pins.  Each was presented to me as a complete surprise.  They were awarded at an Eagle Court of Honor.  I participated at the Eagle Court of Honor IN UNIFORM, and the Scout's pins were pinned to my uniform.

I wear only my Eagle knot, and nothing else.

• Confused 1

Just the old guy response.  I have a number of Mentor pins on the pocket flap of my primary uniform under the knots.  Why?  Because  young person honored me with them, and I seems right to wear them.  I know one local that for whatever reason has a dozen or more.  He has a pocket device he made to hang from the right pocket nd keeps them on there.  Most are only worn at formal troop events, though my pins simply stay there except when the shirt goes to be cleaned..  Uniform police can be ignored.  It is your decision, and if they have purpose, or mean something, that is the only thing that matters.  So, there.  And harrumph!🤗

• Upvote 1
24 minutes ago, skeptic said:

a pocket device he made to hang from the right pocket nd keeps them on there.

A new product idea for your local Scout Store.  At the reasonable price of $6.50.  

<Uniform and insignia are not discounted under this week’s sale price reductions..>

28 minutes ago, BAJ said:

A new product idea for your local Scout Store.  At the reasonable price of $6.50.  

<Uniform and insignia are not discounted under this week’s sale price reductions..>

I made my own pocket device for the pins for less than $2.00.

On 7/20/2021 at 9:08 PM, SiouxRanger said:

"Nothing to be gained..."

Except that the child sees their parent proudly wearing the child's token of affection to their parent and feeling accepted thereby.

Dang, hopefully Scouting does not promote a child's love of their parent. (See, William Proxmire, Wisconsin Senator).

Were that to happen, everyone might love one another.

And there would be no war.

So ... if we would just let Scouters wantonly ignore the Guide to Awards and Insignia ... there would be no war?

🤨

Hmm. This somewhat tortured appeal to pathos actually confirms to me the validity of all my previous comments, both in this thread and in all other threads like it (can you believe this thread is almost two years old???). Honestly, nothing seems to rile people up as much as telling them that there are guidelines to uniforming which they are not following - why do people take this so personally? It's such a small little thing to take off a few pins or to more a few patches! But then, I suppose it says much more about the man or woman who is willing to receive guidance and follow it cheerfully, than it does about those who turn into honest-to-goodness grumps just because they've got one little patch or pin wrong here or there, and thus they kick against the pricks because - heaven forbid! it suggests they have to change. And people sure hate to change, even when it's meant to help them set better examples for the Scouts they serve.

Honestly, it's so small a thing, yet people are so defensive about it. I mean, this thread is almost two years old, yet clearly, people are still up in arms over it. And I suppose they will be for many years to come; nevertheless, I stand by every word I said before, and my stance on this issue has changed no one whit since then. 

• Like 1

So, some clarification seems to be needed (and particularly to confused mrjohns2).

I heard somewhere, many years ago, that Boy Scouting was the only youth program that gave awards to adults. (I do not know if this is true or not, but it is irrelevant to this discussion.) (But that comment does target BSA as having an adult "advancement" element. Beginning to sound like a Mary Kay meeting.)

It got me thinking, should I be accepting awards only for those for which I was competing (or competitively awarded), or also awards bestowed by a group for whatever reason suited it? "Do a Good Turn Daily," "Cheerful Service.," and such, I take those to heart.

I know several scouters who wore as many as 27 knots, each trying to out-compete the other.  And I ask, "Where is the benefit to youth if knots are earned for the purposes of a peacock's display?"

As a "self-starter" I need no encouragement, support, pats-on-the-back, and such, to work diligently and tirelessly to advance my Scouting tasks.

Nobody need tell me if I "did well."  I know my shortcomings far too well enough.

So, I resolved only to accept awards which were competitively awarded-mostly.  I did accept the District Award of Merit, and many years later, Silver Beaver.  But I wear only my Eagle knot.  And now that I contemplate the Eagle Scouts that have awarded me a Mentor Pin, I need to wear at least one (each can think it is their pin, however brothers awarded me each's pin at a recent Eagle Court of Honor, so now I shall wear two).

Those that know me, know what I have contributed and those that don't-it matters not. I am pretty reserved. It is not about me.

On 7/22/2021 at 11:13 PM, The Latin Scot said:

So ... if we would just let Scouters wantonly ignore the Guide to Awards and Insignia ... there would be no war?

🤨

Perhaps I misjudge, are you advocating going to war with snot-nosed cub scouts and their moms?

In my Troop I satisfy myself that the scouts have their shirts tucked in.

Edited by SiouxRanger
deleted a y from withy.