Troop Bottle Drop Theft Solution? (NY)

A Boy Scout bottle drop donation box has been cleaned  out  (by thieves) twice in as many weeks. “I think a whole box full generally gives us about $100, and it really helps us do a lot of stuff,” said  SM Yeung. 

But here is their interesting solution along with more frequent pickups:

Troop leaders said for those who have always graciously donated, but no longer trust the bottle drop, you can bring the bottles directly to the redemption center and tell them you would like the money donated to Hoosick Falls Troop 6063

I wonder if other redemption centers provide this service?

Source with video:

https://www.news10.com/news/local-boy-scout-bottle-drop-bandit/

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 1

Interesting.  A location that still has a "deposit"  on bottles.  Our county has universal recycling, so all bottles, cans, etc. get picked up at the curb.

Back in pre history, back in the days of "Paper Drives" and no official  recycling I was "the dad with the pick up truck" for my daughter's school. They collected aluminum cans for recycling at the metal yard. I remember packing crushed AL cans into big plastic trash bags for week or two, and then packing them into my truck (which had a cap top) and sometimes I would have as much as two tons of cans  !  Down on the springs!  Might bring back $30 or $40. depending on the market..... On to the teacher's fund....

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, SSScout said:

Interesting.  A location that still has a "deposit"  on bottles.  Our county has universal recycling, so all bottles, cans, etc. get picked up at the curb.

My understanding,  the bottle deposit locations and amount are by state: ME, VT, CT, MA, NY,  IA, HI are a nickel.  MI and OR are a dime.  The purchase state is marked in the label bar code. So Pepsi bought in NH would not scan for a deposit refund in those above states. 

In MA, the original reason was to reduce bottle  (just soda?) littering, broken glass in our towns, recycling  was an afterthought or maybe an after-forgot. :confused: