Interviewing local packs for my son

This may sound arrogant, but it is not my intention.

I am ready to start my son in a Cub Scout pack. I will be very picky as to which pack gets our involvement. I have been out of scouting for a while, but back in the day was quite active. And I plan on being very active again.

I am looking at this much like I would apply for a job. That is, I would interview the employer, much like they interview an employee.

I want to find a pack that has a strong committee, active adults deeper than just the youth leaders, etc. I also want a pack with good communication. A website is a must.

The pack is getting more than my boy, they are also getting a parent that wants to help and does not see Scouting as a baby-sitting organization.

So far, I have narrowed it down to one pack that is starting their second year, and another that is just starting up.

What other things should I be concerned with?

(Is this too arrogant?)

Hi,

Is this too arogant? I don't think so. You need to remember (in the words of my son) you get to pick the Scout Unit, he get's to pick the rest home. Now remember Dad pay back can be a problem...

Now honestly, what do you look for in a pack? In my mind, are the leaders trained? What activities have they done historically? I'm very cautious about the units that try and wine and dine you (which is nice, but really?).

When we were shopping what we looked for was a pack that paid a lot more attention to our son rather than us. I have been a Council/District volunteer for many years, so many leaders were very interested in what I would bring to their unit, or yeah and by the way, he has a boy too! We found a great match with a unit that approached it through my son's eyes, and casually mentioned they could use my help if I had the time. Good Luck!!

I would be looking for a pack that when my son and I were back in the car after the visit, the scout would be almost bursting with excitement about how cool, phat and totally kickin' the kids were to him and how much he looks forward to hangin' with the homies

In other words, be sure your son likes the pack as well

I would look for a Pack where the kids were enthusiastic and having fun. I'd check and see how much fun the leaders were having, too. If everyone is enjoying themselves - it's got to be a good program. I wouldn't worry so much about a web site - after all, if you're willing to help out when your son joins, maybe that could be your contribution.

Good Luck and have fun.

Your approach is correct but your system is weighted too heavily towards your needs. Structure and management system are absolutes when looking for the next IBM but a scout troop is not a business. It is a youth development program.

Concentrate on what your son's interests are. See how he and the other boys react to one another. Good web sites prove little in regards to your boys growth. You may think the leaders make Wal-Mart management system look shoty while your son thinks the other boys are braggarts

Communication within the Pack is important. The presence of a website, or lack thereof really doesn't indicate anything about communication. Its entirely possible that the best communicating packs have no website.