Boy Scout Handbook banned in prison

Here's a piece on our local radio station about this year's Banned Books Week.

The BSHB has some stiff competition in the globally banned book category. But, like the Bible, not even the current edition was on sale at the World Jamboree Trading post. A couple of leaders from Indonesia were really hoping to pick up some BSA literature, the best I could do was send those ladies the link to ScoutShop.

An inmate requests a specific publication.  The request is approved or denied by an employee given authority to do so.  Someone, once, requested the 1911 edition or 2011 reprint.  It was denied, as was one request for a copy of Popular by another inmate.Mechanics.  There is no list of items approved at that linked site.

There is a pattern of denial of requests for escape, survival, racist, anti-prison, and sexual publications.

A long time ago I worked at a video store which had a contract with the local prison to provide movies. We were given a list of "prohibited content" to exclude from the tapes we would send them. No specific film titles were excluded, just general content.

Interesting company the BSHB has.  I have to review my version tonight to see just what would be dangerous.  I'm hoping it was banned due to the survival and camping tips.  When I used to visit narcotic-dependent patients, I used to give them a BSHB and a bible.  I told them they were the two book I would want if I only had two.  I used to carry a few BSHBs when I did international scouting too.  A scout is thrifty and I would only trade them.  I was probably selfish when it came to trading, but I always thought I made the better deal.