What constitutes a "public meeting"?

1 minute ago, DuctTape said:

If the State has an "open meetings" law, this practice may be illegal. Often there are strict laws governing what may be discussed in executive session.  At the very least it is unethical. The purpose of public meetings is to discuss (debate) issues. 

Oh, I agree that the various "email exchanges" are certainly at least on sketchy legal ground when it comes to the "Open Meetings" act.

Most of the places I've worked that do a "Committee of the whole" or "Executive Committee" skate around the laws by publishing that meeting as well, but what they'll do is put out a notice that reads like:

______________________________________________________________________________________

City of Awesome Council meeting at 7pm on 1/2/19 in Council chambers

Agenda includes:

Formal hearing on Ordinance XYZ,

Monthly bills and expenditures,

Presentation on new wastewater facility

Simulcast in "viewing room" for overflow seating

Council Executive Committee meeting prior to the public meeting at 6:00pm in Conference Room 1

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Usually they aren't really trying to have private discussions, they are just trying to have the actual debate somewhere slightly less formal with less potential for disruption.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My son took Citizenship in the Community at summer camp, and ... sadly ... they "fulfilled" this requirement by showing the boys a video of a town hall meeting.  One of the prerequisites was to do the

While the requirements may not state "debate" at the meeting, a public meeting following Roberts Rules any discussion of a motion is considered "debate". Only during this time can any viewpoints be gi

Right.  But they do give us guidance. With next year being an election year, you're starting to see debates happening in various places. These can be excellent forums to hear about diverse opinio

30 minutes ago, DuctTape said:

As examples, they are to help guide not be exhaustive lists. The counselor approves the specific meeting based on the purpose of requirement. 

Right.  But they do give us guidance.

With next year being an election year, you're starting to see debates happening in various places. These can be excellent forums to hear about diverse opinions, but they're not the only places.  I would definitely approve of a scout who wanted to attend an event labelled as a "forum", even though it might not follow a traditional debate structure. The "forum" tends to differ from a "debate" in that it focuses on a narrower subset of issues than a general "debate" might.  For example, there are "forum" events focused on women's issues, LGBT, climate issues, etc. 

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, SSScout said:

Oh. I like that definition.  I will use that. 

Generally, I also understand a "public meeting" to be related to governmental function (even if it might not be directly spending taxpayer dollars).

But I also like DuctTape's definition:  "Public means you can attend, private is closed to "the public"."