Jump to content
Momleader

possible fee increase coming

Recommended Posts

Our letter from Council was rolled out today stating what other letters have.  We had one huge difference though.  A week ago we received notification of a $5 Council increase to cover insurance and liability.  The communication today said the Council executives voted and will NOT implement the new Council charge as a result of what National is proposing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The delay maybe be from insurance pricing.  Unless BSA is self-insured, we may be unable to get liability insurance in the future.

If you were an insurance underwriter for BSA, how much uncertainty would be in your cost algorithms right now?  If the liability costs of having men and boys in the woods has ballooned to what the lawyers have trolled up, what are the future costs of having girls in the troops with the 'Me Too!' movement?

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoeBob said:

The delay maybe be from insurance pricing.  Unless BSA is self-insured, we may be unable to get liability insurance in the future.

If you were an insurance underwriter for BSA, how much uncertainty would be in your cost algorithms right now?  If the liability costs of having men and boys in the woods has ballooned to what the lawyers have trolled up, what are the future costs of having girls in the troops with the 'Me Too!' movement?

And I have to imagine that the spectre of bankruptcy isn't helping either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel duped & letdown by the organization.     I opened my email last night and felt anger the council emailed leaders - this morning I opened it again and felt sick because there was more email about it all - Last night our council sent ‘the letter’ to every registered family.  Our pack just sorted out how to absorb the “no fee increase - fee increase to council fees” since it was announced after we collected dues for 2019-2020. 

The bsa circle talk about money matters is beyond ridiculous.  National knows that more kids join the program at the start of the school year than other months - the data will show that.  So they know this should have been timed to have occur at least over the summer (municipal budgets start July 1)  but ‘no...let’s wait until mid 4Q to announce a change in pricing’.  What happens if they actually announce bankruptcy in the following 1Q or 2Q how is that trustworthy of them?  

I will be directing every single parent with questions to our DE and Scout Exec. They can do the explaining about how they have come at these numbers. They can come to a parent info session and give the reasons.  And they can’t blame it all on lower number of kids signing up, LDS departure or decreased popcorn sales. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, 5thGenTexan said:

Our letter from Council was rolled out today stating what other letters have.  We had one huge difference though.  A week ago we received notification of a $5 Council increase to cover insurance and liability.  The communication today said the Council executives voted and will NOT implement the new Council charge as a result of what National is proposing.  

Ours Council letter came out, points to National as the holder of the details and why it's late, also they had this ever so helpful suggestion - 

In addition, we have been working with our partners at Trail's End to ensure we have enough popcorn available for any unit interested in additional sales to raise the funds necessary to recharter in December.

You cannot make this stuff up, fees are going up??  Hey, sell MORE popcorn!!

 

 

Edited by Jameson76

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Momleader said:

I feel duped & letdown by the organization.     I opened my email last night and felt anger the council emailed leaders - this morning I opened it again and felt sick because there was more email about it all - Last night our council sent ‘the letter’ to every registered family.  Our pack just sorted out how to absorb the “no fee increase - fee increase to council fees” since it was announced after we collected dues for 2019-2020. 

The bsa circle talk about money matters is beyond ridiculous.  National knows that more kids join the program at the start of the school year than other months - the data will show that.  So they know this should have been timed to have occur at least over the summer (municipal budgets start July 1)  but ‘no...let’s wait until mid 4Q to announce a change in pricing’.  What happens if they actually announce bankruptcy in the following 1Q or 2Q how is that trustworthy of them?  

I will be directing every single parent with questions to our DE and Scout Exec. They can do the explaining about how they have come at these numbers. They can come to a parent info session and give the reasons.  And they can’t blame it all on lower number of kids signing up, LDS departure or decreased popcorn sales. 

Just as a point of note.  Your council's scout executive and district executive have just about 0 influence on the national fees.  The council is completely separate from the national organization. Ouir council's exec and board is just as frustrated as we all are with this.  

The national organization is under severe stress right now.  Lawsuits out the ears, rising insurance rates. and bankruptcy around the corner.  This isn't a time when the national organization is just being lazy.  I'm not here to cut them any slack - but I do get it.  I think we all just have to wait this one out. 

My advice - just be honest with parents.  I'd tell me families exactly that and let them know we'll pass on the info when we all find it out.  We all have moments in life where stuff happens - whether at work, at home, whatever.  If we're honest with families and don't make it sound like National is just being careless here - I do think families will understand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Momleader said:

... it was announced after we collected dues for 2019-2020. 

This happened to our pack years ago too.  Recharter fee changes announced in September are too late for the pack to budget and adjust. 

IMHO, BSA is dancing two sides of the fence.  Sometimes chasing money directly from families.  Sometimes chasing money from the units.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They must have some idea of what magnitude of increase they are considering. It would be helpful if they'd at least give a ball park heads up on what they are looking at. There's no point in panicking everyone if it's $10 which, although disruptive, is not likely to be catastrophic for most. They also ought to extend the rechartering deadline. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Noted that Travelers has mentioned the NY State statute of limitations change in their 10Q.  Also understand that the issue and costs is less about the predatory sexual assault lawsuits (which is bad) and more about the accident and injury claims.  These seem to be more numerous than prior years and consequently more costly than prior.  This of course drives up rates.

Concern is that the increase may not be in the $10 range but could be substantially higher, possibly north of $20 range.  That would / could be an issue if it ends up being the case

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We received a note from our council that states the BSA is looking at its options regarding financial restructuring to appropriately support those affected by abuse in the Scouting program. Any decision on this will likely come in October or November.  (I think this clarifies what our CE said at round table).

So while insurance and loss of members may be driving the fee increase, it looks like they have to delay any announcement until the consider the totality of the situation including financial restructuring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2019 at 11:36 AM, Jameson76 said:

Concern is that the increase may not be in the $10 range but could be substantially higher, possibly north of $20 range.  That would / could be an issue if it ends up being the case

If  the price range I heard is correct, it is way north of a $20 increase.. I will no longer be in Scouting as I will not be able to afford the registration fee. I will now be pushing my oldest son to achieve Eagle prior to December 31st, so that if the new price is true, I will not have to pay the fee for him to earn Eagle. Although he planned to continue Scouting after Eagle, he will not be able to if the price I heard is true. 

Don't know what I will do with middle son. He is Star and wants Eagle bad. May have to give him 1 year to get Life and Eagle. But he won't be able to go to camping except summer camp. And at summer camp, I may ask him to focus on Eagle required MBs. The price is that steep.

As for my youngest, I will need to find a cheaper alternative. Trails Life may be in our future. at $46/year/ person, they will be significantly cheaper if the price range I was told is correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×