• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The statement you posted says: That's because they got outed in 2018:  

Anything above $50....

Maybe the BSA is playing 4 dimensional chess.  See, if they get the rumor mill started that annual dues are going to $100, then announce an increase from $33 to $67, everybody will be relieved even th

Posted Images

If $48 or $49 was true, that would put my pack dues at $95 a year. For my 4 scouts, that puts me in a range I probably can't afford. Myself, and a lot of other families that already told me no more increases.

Will take clever ideas to hold the line..... beads sound better than belt loops....

7 hours ago, 5thGenTexan said:

I can not speak for everyone, but $100 recharter fee is a deal breaker for me,  I have a Bear, I have a daughter who I am working on creating a Scouts BSA Troop in town, I am a leader as is my wife.  We are not paying $400 a year just to send to National.  

Yeah, I don't know what we'll do if it's that high.  We're a family of five, and all of us are in scouting.  Hubby just agreed to be an ASM for the troop, as nearly a quarter of our scouts - and therefore their dads - will age out after this year.  Our troop pays for adults, or at least they have.  I don't think our troop can absorb that cost if it tops $50.  Maybe our crew and our troop can split my registration cost, lol.

Then you have the new cash-grab requirement that all Eagle projects must have two registered adults present.  Prior this, we were debating having the Eagle candidate's parents register.  Might have been a tough sell, even before the increase.  What a mess.

I wish there was a clearing house of background checks that organizations could subscribe as a member.  I swear there was one year I had five organizations run background checks  ... work, school, multiple volunteer organizations, etc.  It added no value to the purpose of the organizations, but it added alot of cost.  We need something like a LinkedIn for background checks.

• Upvote 3

This whole waiting game national is playing has been a huge stressor for our Troop. I get it, BSA is getting hammered on insurance costs. But what about us poor, rural folks trying to keep a program going on an already shoestring budget? If our Council exec doesn't give a damn, I guess I should expect nothing more from a guy in Dallas make 500 grand a year...

• Upvote 3

I live in a rural area as well.  There aren't many deep pockets around these here parts.  Those with resources are bombarded with requests from well-meaning organizations in need of funds.   Our community is generous but folks are financially fatigued, in every sense of the phrase.

Edited by desertrat77
  • Upvote 4
17 hours ago, fred8033 said:

I wish there was a clearing house of background checks that organizations could subscribe as a member.  I swear there was one year I had five organizations run background checks  ... work, school, multiple volunteer organizations, etc.  It added no value to the purpose of the organizations, but it added alot of cost.  We need something like a LinkedIn for background checks.

I have wondered if FBI's National Instant Crime Background Check System (NICS) could be extended beyond firearm purchases.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, walk in the woods said:

I'm also rural.  When folks look at the cost scouting I'd argue they aren't comparing it to other youth programs, but rather a cart of groceries or tanks of gas to heat the house.

or clothes for work/school, doctor's visits....

• Upvote 2
10 minutes ago, TravelerJoe said:

The local swim team runs $100 a month for grade school kids and a bit over $400 a month for high school students where I'm at so scouting still looks like a bargain.

Depends what you get for your buck. Burnout drop outs are huge in Cubs.

Barry

9 minutes ago, TravelerJoe said:

The local swim team runs $100 a month for grade school kids and a bit over $400 a month for high school students where I'm at so scouting still looks like a bargain.

I am not involved in any other activities at school, nor is my wife.  The bargain argument of other activities  is not relevant to leaders who are looking at a significant increase.  From my perspective its not a matter of what it costs my Scout.  It will impact our entire family since we are all registered.  Right now at $33 we are looking at $132 for all 4 of us, IF they go to $100 a year then we are talking $400 just for National fees before anything else is factored in.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, walk in the woods said:

I'm also rural.  When folks look at the cost scouting I'd argue they aren't comparing it to other youth programs, but rather a cart of groceries or tanks of gas to heat the house.

Most of my older venturers compared the last cost increase to the cost of a night camping with a decent dinner and breakfast. They concluded they could do just as well without the BSA.

1 hour ago, TravelerJoe said:

That's why some families do not do swimming and other sports, they cannot afford it.

EDITED:

And some families have stated that depending upon the new fee, they may be unable to afford Scouting as well.

Edited by Eagle94-A1