possible fee increase coming

Yes, we were told over the years that the Executive Board, Council Committee members and District Committee members were expected to be the FOS "Pace Setters" and donate over and above what our unit contributions would be.  

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The statement you posted says: That's because they got outed in 2018:  

Anything above $50....

Maybe the BSA is playing 4 dimensional chess.  See, if they get the rumor mill started that annual dues are going to $100, then announce an increase from $33 to $67, everybody will be relieved even th

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Actually the primary event was district camporee. IOLS was done in conjunction. At the time,  as well as today, we don't have fully functional district committee. No program or training chairs, and no district chair. Just the RT commissioner trying to put on camporee, and the council training chair doing IOLS. She was filling in since we did not have a district training chair either. We also don't have a full time DE, but instead are sharing one with another district.

We were given the option of allowing the 3rd activity or stepping down. And we were given this option 2 days before the event. I stayed to finish the camporee for the scouts,an announced a new camporee chief would be needed the next year. The event was pushed onto the DE by either the SE or DFS.

Ouch!  Sounds like your district volunteer leadership team is essentially non-existent.  It sounds like your DE has assumed much of the operational work of volunteers as a result.  That's not good.

That's not the correct model at all - but sounds like you're stuck until a volunteer function is re-established.

On 10/1/2019 at 6:26 AM, ParkMan said:

There's been an ask from our district FoS team that we all donate something so that we can say that 100% of our district committee has contributed.  But, they've never set an amount and suggest that $5 would be fine.

This is actually something that usually gets reported on grant applications and donation solicitations so it's pretty common in charitable institutions.

• Thanks 1
53 minutes ago, JasonG172 said:

Or how much right ? 

Current is $33.  Estimates for the new rate vary widely from $45 up to $100.  So maybe we start an over under pool

In speaking with a DE we mentioned maybe a $20 increase, and he sort of shrugged and said or maybe more.....

4 minutes ago, Jameson76 said:

In speaking with a DE we mentioned maybe a $20 increase, and he sort of shrugged and said or maybe more.....

I round ours up to 34$, lol I like whole numbers haha.  I really hope no more than $20, I don't want to see more than $10 but noone has asked me. 

Myself, 14 year old and now my new Lion, it would most certainly make me start considering what to do. I agree YES it is still much cheaper than other sporting activities in our area but we also have on going events (campouts, summer camps) that figure in to our "yearly" expenses which I promise would exceed those other programs. 

My pack camps almost every other month, the troop camps every month. Average cost of event for the Pack $12ea, for the troop $25ea 

12 minutes ago, JasonG172 said:

I round ours up to 34$, lol I like whole numbers haha.  I really hope no more than $20, I don't want to see more than $10 but noone has asked me. 

Myself, 14 year old and now my new Lion, it would most certainly make me start considering what to do. I agree YES it is still much cheaper than other sporting activities in our area but we also have on going events (campouts, summer camps) that figure in to our "yearly" expenses which I promise would exceed those other programs. 

My pack camps almost every other month, the troop camps every month. Average cost of event for the Pack $12ea, for the troop $25ea 

Agree it could be a cause for concern.

Our troop charges $100 annually for dues (no fundraisers), then pay as you go for outings.  

9 regular outings that run about $15 each, 1 winter trip that runs about $50, 2 summers camps, each about $350.  If a Scout attended all events, it would be $935 annually.  Note that most of our leaders contribute the gas used for outings.  Meals for outings would be extra.  That being said the Scout would have 15 to 16 nights camping for weekends, 12 nights camping at Summer camps.  It is a good value. 

Admittedly if the National Fee goes up maybe $50, that would be a 5% increase if you attend everything, but a 50% increase in our annual dues.  It would still be a tough pill to swallow.

Edited by Jameson76

At Roundtable yesterday our interim DE (6 months) said they’ve heard nothing about what the national fees might be, other than substantial (probably more than $5-10/registeree). When he was pressed if the council fee would stay the same or increase also, answered the board will decide after National makes an announcement what the council fee will be based on membership numbers.  But they want our Charters returned and paid for on 12/2/19 for processing. 🤦‍♀️  

7 business days out from national’s communicated date and no leaks or rumblings - hmmm.  

not sure what anyone else is hearing but that’s what we have heard in our state

I've heard nothing in our council except this:  "it really doesn't matter how high the fee is, scouting is still a bargain."

While I agree in theory, in real life it isn't going to work that way.  Families are already squeezing budgets to the brink.   For many, scouting might be the first thing jettisoned in the coming months.

Edited by desertrat77

At our pack meeting last night, several parents started talking that they don’t want to bail out the BSA from their past sins (sex abuse).  The discussion came up as I had to stop parents paying registration fees until we hear from National BSA.

It will be a tough message if they see a large fee increase tied to anything related to creating a victims fund.  I mentioned insurance and they scoffed.  A couple parents told me their sons play football and they sign waivers as the football teams no longer have insurance for head or neck injuries.  I mentioned health insurance and they pushed back saying they have their own health insurance and don’t need it from BSA.  

These parents can afford it (median income in my area is 6 figures) but they don’t like the idea of paying for overhead or items they don’t see any benefit.  For example, many paid $100 for an outing we went on with no pushback, but they would be upset to be charged $25 in additional fees if they don’t see a value in return.

• Upvote 1