possible fee increase coming

19 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

Maybe the key S'mores ingredient will soon be required from a jar and not a campfire. Goodbye Campfire Marshmallows hello Fluff.  :( 

When marshmallows are outlawed, only outlaws will have marshmallows.

• Haha 4
  • Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The statement you posted says: That's because they got outed in 2018:  

Anything above $50....

Maybe the BSA is playing 4 dimensional chess.  See, if they get the rumor mill started that annual dues are going to $100, then announce an increase from $33 to $67, everybody will be relieved even th

Posted Images

On 9/26/2019 at 5:59 PM, RememberSchiff said:

If there is an increase in the amount or number of National fee(s), I hope it is placated by a reduction in paperwork and "guidelines"... some good with the bad. 

My $0.02, and Alex I'll take Water Pistols for $10, no make that Power Tools for $20.

If a $100 per person then Alex,  I'll take No Adults on Patrol Outings for $50. 

P.S. Disney+ reportedly launches in Nov. at $70/year. 

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 2
19 minutes ago, The Latin Scot said:

WHOO mercy! $100 per person?! I can't afford that ... if this really does take effect next year, I'm in hot water. I can't take a bite like this out of my budget. I hope this is only hearsay.

Well, if you put yourself in cold water, that might lower your heating bill just enough!

• Haha 1
40 minutes ago, The Latin Scot said:

WHOO mercy! $100 per person?! I can't afford that ... if this really does take effect next year, I'm in hot water. I can't take a bite like this out of my budget. I hope this is only hearsay.

Try paying for 4, 5 if they charge MBCs. I see Trails Life getting a huge membership jump.

• Upvote 1

DE I was talking to at council office yesterday said they were told registration fee has to be minimum of $48 just to cover insurance.

So how much do you think they want to make on each registration over top of breaking even?

Grand canyon council announced they will change our recharter year from jan to dec instead to fall in July.

That way we'd pay a prorated amount of the new BSA fee and they think it will be close to the same.  So to pay a prorated amount  Jan thru July close to $33, would mean an annual fee of $60 (7/12 prorated of $60 is $35 if I did my math right.

On 9/26/2019 at 2:47 PM, njdrt-rdr said:

While that's totally true, they get paid to do their job and their job is to deal with National and deal with all the crap that should not be happening at our level. However crap rolls down hill and the volunteers at the bottom are the ones that take the brunt of it. Way back, 12 years ago I had fond memories of my time in scouts as a kid and I knew I wanted to be a leader and thought that even when my kid was done with scouts, I'd keep on as a volunteer. Well over the last 12 years, that attitude has severely changed. I don't have faith in the program or leadership of it anymore. I'm just glad my son is close to done.

Why?  They get a paycheck -so what?  Why does that mean they need to get grief for this?  Scout Executive's do have a channel into national - so maybe.  But a local District Executive is an initial professional job in the BSA.  DEs are employed by local councils who are separate from the national organization as well.  They are not talking with anyone at BSA national about fees.  No one at national is going to get a report from a DE who says "a parent in Troop 123" is angry about the new fee model.

I talk quite a bit with our local DE.  I have a good sense of what he knows, what he doesn't know, and what little influence he has on anything even at the Council level.  

• Like 2

As a former pro, @ParkMan 110% correct: DEs have little to no influence at the council level, let alone the National one. In fact, I find out thinks before the DEs do from this site, FB, and friends elsewhere.

Clarification,  got a copy of a letter one council sent saying that while no one knows how much the fee increase will be, be prepared for $100.

• Upvote 1
7 minutes ago, Momleader said:

Whoa I hope  you’re wrong. $67 increase is a big pill to swallow!   

Does anyone else think there will be a number by the promised 10/23 date or will they push it out again?

Well - as many do recharter in NOV and DEC, gonna have to have a fee at some point.  

1 hour ago, Momleader said:

Whoa I hope  you’re wrong. $67 increase is a big pill to swallow!   

Does anyone else think there will be a number by the promised 10/23 date or will they push it out again?

I really can't see them being stupid enough to think $100 would fly, from a $33 current cost

• Upvote 1