Military Explorers sponsored by BSA Learning for Life?

I didn't know we were competing directly with Junior ROTC,  Junior Marines, and Civil Air Patrol ?  

“The Military Explorers of the Inland Empire Post III is an after-school career pathways program sponsored by the Boy Scouts of America  (Learning for Life) for students who are 12 to 20 years old,” said Public Affairs Officer SPC Simeone N. Miller.

“Our mission is to provide America’s youth with easier access to military recruiters, ASVAB preparation, college ROTC scholarship and enrollment opportunities, and service academy and accessions information. More importantly, we teach leadership development, insight into what it is like to be in the military, the basic enlistment requirements, and hands-on technical training that mirrors certain US Army Military Occupational Specialties such as Public Affairs, Infantry, Military Police, and more,” said Miller.

Explorers not only wear the uniform, but earn ranks by taking tests according to regulation. They also advance by attending schools such as Non Commissioned Officer School and Officer Candidate School.

In its sixth year, the program currently holds 70 students in the program and it’s looking to continue growing now and in the future.

more at source links:

https://iecn.com/military-explorers-program-thrives-on-community-and-technical-experience/

https://armycadetexp.webs.com/about-us

As a former JROTC instructor, I'm all for this.

There are scouts that will thrive in a unit like this.  And more than ever, the military needs young men and women who are mentally and physically able to serve.

Edited by desertrat77

JR ROTC can be much more difficult to get up and running vs Explorers - and it is far more geographically compact and restrictive since linked to specific high school attendance.

These days, I can't imagine a new JR ROTC unit even being starting with such difficult requirements:

Title 10, United States Code, section 2031 prescribes that no unit may be established or maintained at an institution unless 10 percent of the number of students enrolled in the institution who are in grades 9-12 or 100 students, whichever is less, are enrolled in the JROTC Program as Cadets.

And, I believe that would be for just a SINGLE branch of the military whereas Explorers is "non-denominational" so to speak.

I wonder if the people running this program are aware of the longstanding policy of the BSA in not wanting its programs to be "military" in nature - or maybe that policy doesn't exist anymore?

Added:  Ok I just looked at the links and here is the photo that is in the article:

Military-explorers-flag.jpg

I find it VERY difficult to believe that this is approved by National.

Edited by NJCubScouter
1 hour ago, NJCubScouter said:

I wonder if the people running this program are aware of the longstanding policy of the BSA in not wanting its programs to be "military" in nature - or maybe that policy doesn't exist anymore?

Added:  Ok I just looked at the links and here is the photo that is in the article:

I was wondering the same thing, but then maybe turning anyone away is not in their nature anymore.  

I think Learning for Life has always had a different set of rules.  It seems like the "non-military" part of it would also be different.  Several of our local schools lost their JROTC programs because they couldn't maintain 100 students enrolled and there were no accommodations for one unit serving more than one school. 

Here is the relevant page: https://www.exploring.org/law-government/

"Military careers" is right there. 

4 hours ago, NJCubScouter said:

Sea scouts wear what are effectively Navy E6 and below dress whites.  What's to object to?  I think these boys look damn sharp.

7 hours ago, NJCubScouter said:

2 hours ago, walk in the woods said:

Sea scouts wear what are effectively Navy E6 and below dress whites.  What's to object to?  I think these boys look damn sharp.

Why be sensitive to appearing too highly militaristic?

Let's see . . . a British army officer and war hero writes a book "Aids to Scouting", for soliders, and finds that it has become popular with boys.  He had observed the poor quality of army recruits, and seen a need for better training for the ordinary youth of the nation. He thinks that scouting as an outdoor game for boys could help them grow into good citizens, and to that end writes "Scouting for Boys", emphasizing that the boys will be "peace scouts" rather than soldiers.

Still, some people thought that Boy Scouts might be too militaristic, coming too close to training boys to be soldiers.  And the fear was not irrational: indeed the Hitler Youth borrowed aspects of the boy scout program as it trained boy soldiers.

No wonder BSA today still avoids the appearance of militarism -- even down to the extreme of banning water guns.  

So, yes, military Explorers is surprising.

Edited by Treflienne
typo
  • Upvote 1

What are the Military Explorers?

The Military Explorers is a Boy Scouts of America sponsored program for young men and women ages 14 (and have completed the 8th grade) through 20 years old. There is also an Expoloring Club for youth in 6th to 8th grade.
The purpose of the Military Explorers program is to provide real world career experiences and develop critical skills necessary for success in any branch of the United States Armed Forces and in life.
Our purpose is to help our youth grow both mentally and physically through the United States Military training practies.

Military Explorers participate in many activities:

• Flag Etiquette and Patriotism
  • Rappelling
  • Land Navigation
  • First Aid Training
  • Leadership Development
  • Community Service
  • Tactical Training
  • Physical Fitness Training
  • Recreational Activities
  • Survival Training
  • Rifle Skills and Weapons Safety Training"

http://militaryexplorers.com/

info@militaryexplorers.com

Illowa Council

EXPLORING

ExploringLogo.png?resize=300%2C109&ssl=1What is Exploring? Career Exploring is a worksite-based program for young men and women ages 14 (and have completed the 8th grade) through 20 years old. The purpose of the Exploring program is to provide real world career experiences and develop other critical skills necessary for success in a college and a career including:

• Leadership development
  • Character development
  • Social & professional networking
  • Community service

Exploring is based on a unique and dynamic relationship between youth and the organizations in their communities. Businesses and community organizations initiate a specific Career Explorer post by matching their people and program resources to the interests of youth in the community. The result is a program of activities that helps youth pursue their special interests, grow, and develop.

We work with thousands of local, regional, and national businesses and organizations to deliver the Career Exploring program. Career Exploring posts have been successfully established representing over 100 different career fields. Check out the career clusters below to learn more. Also, check out the national Exploring website for more information!

. . .

Military

Army Post 44
(Davenport)"

http://illowabsa.org/Exploring/

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1