Real estate donation

Our troop has a former Eagle Scout in poor health that wants to donate a piece of undeveloped property along a recreational river directly to the troop.  What would be the best way to have that set up (as I know the troop itself is not a legal entity)?  Has anyone had that done before? If so, how was it done and how did you deal with insurance and property taxes?

Any guidance you might give would be appreciated.

Thanks. 

Donating to the CO sounds like a workable plan.

Another possibility is to set up a revocable land trust to hold the title.

You might need to get an attorney to do this for you, or you may be able to consult with  your local "Bank & Trust". Better to rely on professional advice about this than it is to listen to most of us typical internet users...well intentioned as we might be.

1) Get local legal advice.

2) Whatever you do, DO NOT GIVE IT OUTRIGHT TO AN ORGANIZATION! (caps for emphasis)  I say that because camps are being sold. https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2006-02-12-0602120249-story.html

My former boss is in this one

In Texas, the Three Rivers Council convinced the nonprofit Stark Foundation to waive deed restrictions in 2001 to allow the sale of Camp Bill Stark, a 132-acre pine woodland near Beaumont.
Lutcher Stark had donated the land some 70 years earlier, specifying it be used for a camp. Scouting officials said they couldn't afford to maintain it, and promised to use sale proceeds to improve another camp. But once released from the deed restriction, they sold the land to an investment firm, and most of it was immediately clear-cut.
Foundation Chairman Walter Riedel III, an Eagle Scout, said scout leaders assured foundation officials that part of the woodland would be preserved as a camp.
"Being a scout - I expected them to do the right thing and be honest with us and I'm not real sure that happened," Riedel said.
Former executive Jack Crawford, who no longer works for the scouts, declined comment.[NOTE by Eagle94-A1: Crawford left TX to become a field director in NC. While he is still employed by the BSA, he has been a FD for 17+ years now.  At least he isn't getting promoted]

15 hours ago, mrkstvns said:

Donating to the CO sounds like a workable plan.

Another possibility is to set up a revocable land trust to hold the title.

You might need to get an attorney to do this for you, or you may be able to consult with  your local "Bank & Trust". Better to rely on professional advice about this than it is to listen to most of us typical internet users...well intentioned as we might be.

Plus 1 to this.  The local scout camp that I attended as a youth and were my grandfather served on staff at in the 1940's was donated to the scouts sometime between 1911 and 1920.  This 40 something acre camp is held in a trust by the local scout council.   Around 1990 the local council became part of our neighbor council.  In the mid 2000's the local council closed the camp and the speculations were that they intended to sell the property.  What the new council did not know was that they did not own the property  so they could not sell the property.   The way the property was worded in the trust that the council held was that the scouts had the use of the property as long as they did not abandon the property.  If the scouts abandoned the property  the land would revert to the local city.

• Upvote 2
9 hours ago, ValleyBoy said:

Plus 1 to this.  The local scout camp that I attended as a youth and were my grandfather served on staff at in the 1940's was donated to the scouts sometime between 1911 and 1920.  This 40 something acre camp is held in a trust by the local scout council.   Around 1990 the local council became part of our neighbor council.  In the mid 2000's the local council closed the camp and the speculations were that they intended to sell the property.  What the new council did not know was that they did not own the property  so they could not sell the property.   The way the property was worded in the trust that the council held was that the scouts had the use of the property as long as they did not abandon the property.  If the scouts abandoned the property  the land would revert to the local city.

We have the same situation in my council. As long as the Scouts use the camp, it's ours. Once upon a time a someone mentioned in the article I cited was considering selling the camp. He was not investing anything into that camp, and it was maintained solely by individual troops and the OA chapters that use the camp the most. Consideration for selling it abruptly ended, and it was left to benign neglect. Story I heard is the camp is held in trust, and it reverts to the family if we stop using it. Glad we got it as it is the only Scout camp that Cubs can do boating activities at. The other ones are on a river.

1 hour ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

We have the same situation in my council. As long as the Scouts use the camp, it's ours. Once upon a time a someone mentioned in the article I cited was considering selling the camp. He was not investing anything into that camp, and it was maintained solely by individual troops and the OA chapters that use the camp the most. Consideration for selling it abruptly ended, and it was left to benign neglect. Story I heard is the camp is held in trust, and it reverts to the family if we stop using it. Glad we got it as it is the only Scout camp that Cubs can do boating activities at. The other ones are on a river.

Could you set it up as a trust held by a local by the leadership of a local troop?

• 1 month later...

One of the issues that will be relevant is the payment of property taxes.  If the property isn't held for exempt purposes, the annual taxes will have to come out of someone's pocket.  It would probably be worth speaking with a tax lawyer to figure out how to get around that part, then decide where to go from there.

• Upvote 1