I need a First Aid Kit for the Pack.  I am not talking about the little things that you buy to put in a pack for a hike or the activity we do for Cubs to built a first aid kit to carry as part of their Six Essentials.  Our ASM from last year has for all intents and purposes moved on to another Pack closer to where they live.  He brought much of the Pack camping equipment from his personal stash.  Our CM from last year that moved up to CC this year and I am not even sure if he is going to show again in my mind is just about gone as well.  

So I need a real First Aid Kit.  Do I put something together from scratch or is there something really useful and affordable we can look at buying?

6 minutes ago, 5thGenTexan said:

So I need a real First Aid Kit.  Do I put something together from scratch or is there something really useful and affordable we can look at buying?

Your choice.

If you put it together yourself, you can customize it to better meet the needs of your own unit.  For us, band aids are what we need most, so I would buy plenty of those. In a year when we're doing a lot of hiking and backpacking, moleskin becomes a "best seller". In this part of the country, it's always hot and sunny, so we need to be ready to handle sunburn because somebody will surely ignore the constant advice to use sunblock.  Have you got a kid with severe allergies? You might want to sock away an epi-pen (if allowed in your state). Take a look at the Health forms and see if something jumps out at you as a condition you might want to be prepared for. 

Of course, the advantage to just going to a friendly neighborhood pharmacy (or a Wal-Mart) and buying a pre-made kit off the shelf is that you have the basics, you have it immediately, and you don't have to think about what to buy. (As long as you're happy with a "one size fits all" solution).

Your choice.

Whatever you decide (and I'm sure good suggestions will come from our various schools of hard knocks): include an inventory list with the title "this kit should contain .." and at the bottom "please inform ____ when this kit is used."

The blank is for whoever is best qualified to be your pack's safety officer. That person inventories and restocks the kit after someone uses it, and if they don't hear from someone that the kit was use, checks it periodically.

Also consider a "bug out" kit for traveling. Although every driver should have one in their vehicle, some activities might take you a ways from your cars.

I've always leaned on the "create your own" rather than buying a kit you won't like.  Pre-made kits are expensive, look cool, and have lots of items you don't need.  You can get as elaborate at a backboard, neckbraces, air splints, or keep it simple for cubs in your pack.  Most packs with their activities won't experience broken bones, severe trauma, or life-threatening injuries.  You will need the normal over-the-counter, household essentials of alcohol wipes, peroxide, triple anti-biotic cream, benodryl and itch cream, a SAM splint isn't a bad idea.  Swabs, needles, duct tape (for cactus thorn removal), instant ice and heating packs, and elastic bandages.  Tailor your kit to your activities.

In regards to moleskin, I've always had a terrible time with it.  It rolls, is ok, but KT tape is the way to go.  At Philmont, a roll of KT tape is excellent for preventing and protecting blisters from multiple heavy pack days on trail.  I won't use moleskin again.  KT tape saves a lot of tears.  

2 hours ago, 5thGenTexan said:

I need a First Aid Kit for the Pack.  I am not talking about the little things that you buy to put in a pack for a hike or the activity we do for Cubs to built a first aid kit to carry as part of their Six Essentials.  Our ASM from last year has for all intents and purposes moved on to another Pack closer to where they live.  He brought much of the Pack camping equipment from his personal stash.  Our CM from last year that moved up to CC this year and I am not even sure if he is going to show again in my mind is just about gone as well.  

I would start with a commercial kit, then as I saw it's usage, I would start to change it. You will probably want to get a wider variety (and number) of band-aids than the commercial kits.  You should also make sure you add stuff like antacids, analgesics (aspirin, acetaminophen and ibuprofen), pepto bismol and Benadryl to it (if it doesn't already have it). 

Something like this might make a good start, and it advertises that it has extra room for customization.  It might have more than you need, but if you have medical people who are parents in the Pack, it might be useful.  I would definitely have whatever first aid kit you have in some kind of brightly colored container.  

https://www.amazon.com/MFASCO-Complete-Emergency-Response-Disasters/dp/B07B9L7P8G/ref=asc_df_B07B9L7P8G/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242002247899&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=18269166686985522621&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007695&hvtargid=pla-571833126235&psc=1

Edited by perdidochas

We have built one for the troop (not the backpacking one) and started with the Philmont recommendations.  Then we have added many items; band aids, additional wipes, etc.  Mainly things for small injuries.  Also added more of the large band aids.  Good to keep some antiseptic cremes, ant-acids, on hand.  While some do not, we do keep ibuprofen, some benadryl, and other pain relievers in the kit.  Also there are some splints, chemical ice packs, some other more severe care items.

This is in a large kit.  We were fortunate to have a parent donate an AED, that is kept in the kit.  The top of the one we have has a smaller section that opens and we keep small wound care items there.  Due to the AED (concerned about the heat and the battery) we keep the kit at a leaders house, bring it to meetings and then outings.

For backpacking we carry the standard PSR load out.

Edited by Jameson76

Whatever you put in it, make sure several people in the group know how to use it. One unit I was with was given an EMT kit and had supplies in it that only a few folks knew how to use. 

I also prefer the make your own kits. As others stated you can add more of what you will commonly use. I would not take less though. When I created my FAKs, I used the BSA's WFA kit recommendations and added to it. One thing i would add is some type of electrolyte powder. While I kept bottle of Gatorade in the fridge at Cub day camp, not practical hiking or backpacking. But those packets of powder are extremely handy. I had to use them twice in the past year.

From the BSA Wilderness First Aid Guidelines  pages 41 and 42 found here https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/680-008.pdf

Guidelines for First-Aid Kit Contents Some of the items listed below require advance training before use (e.g., SAM splints, hemostatic dressing, and tourniquets).

Personal Kit

• Adhesive bandages (6) • Sterile gauze pads, 3-by-3-inch (2) • Adhesive tape (1 small roll) • Moleskin, 3-by-6-inch (1) • Soap (1 small bar) or alcohol-based hand sanitizing gel (1 travel-sized bottle) • Bacitracin ointment (1 small tube) • Scissors (1 pair) • Nonlatex disposable gloves (1 pair) • CPR breathing barrier (1) • Tweezers (1) • Pencil and incident report forms 42 Wilderness First Aid Curriculum and Doctrine Guidelines Group Kit • Kerlix/Kling (or equivalent), 3-inch rolls (2) • Coban self-adhesive bandage, 2-inch roll (1) • Adhesive tape, 1-inch rolls (2) • Alcohol pads (12) • Betadine pads (12) • Assorted adhesive bandages (1 box) • Elastic bandages, 3-inch-wide (2) • Sterile gauze pads 4-by-4-inch (12) • Moleskin, 3-by-6-inch (4) • Gel pads for blister and burns (2 packets) • Bacitracin ointment (1 tube) • Hydrocortisone cream, 1percent (1 tube) • Triangular bandages (4) • Soap (1 small bar) or alcohol-based hand sanitizing gel (1 travel-sized bottle) • Scissors (1 pair) • Tweezers (1 pair) • Safety pins (12) • Nonlatex disposable gloves (6 pairs) • Protective goggles/safety glasses (1 pair) • CPR breathing barrier (1) • Pencil and paper Optional Items • Instant cold compress • Space blanket • Original size SAM Splint • Hemostatic wound dressings • Tourniquet

When I come back from church and remember to get my kit out of the car, I'll post what ECSI recommends in their WFA kit.

And as others mentioned, have a paper list of everything with an expiration date and check often. BUT DO NOT THROW AWAY THOSE OUT OF DATE SUPPLIES IF USABLE FOR FIRST AID TRAINING! Me department has a bunch of out of date supplies secured in a training classroom.

• Upvote 2