Sign in to follow this  
karunamom3

CO emblem on neckercheif

Our new CO is a Masonic lodge. It was discussed at a leaders meeting... can we incorporate parts of the Masonic symbol into our neckercheif design? Specifically,  the square & compass or just the compass. It would be behind & around a BSA eagle. Some concern was raised over non-masons wearing it, but it is not the complete symbol and would be in the background of the eagle.  Any thoughts?

I think it would be best if you spoke with your Chartered Organization Representative to ask what they feel would be appropriate or not. They're the ones whose symbology you are employing, so let them determine the protocols thereof for you.

1 minute ago, The Latin Scot said:

I think it would be best if you spoke with your Chartered Organization Representative to ask what they feel would be appropriate or not. They're the ones whose symbology you are employing, so let them determine the protocols thereof for you.

Thanks. It was our COR's idea! They just want to get the design approved by their district leaders. 

I would encourage you to run this by someone from the district too - probably the district executive.  You're starting to get into the area of co-mixing BSA branding and Masonic branding.  There are generally rules about this kind of thing.  Odds are that they'll say - hey, this is great.  But - I'd think it's worth confirming first.

As a district type person, I don't see any problem with any CO national-type symbol on a neckerchief.  If the wearer has an issue with the symbol, they may want to transfer to another unit.  If the CO is in good enough standing with the Scouts BSA to be a CO, there shouldn't be a problem with it.  If there is a local goofy or offensive symbol that discredits the program, then it should be a lengthy discussion. 

Many overseas units even wear local and that country's symbols.  Take a look at the Transatlantic Council website or even the Kandersteg International Scout Center sites.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ParkMan said:

I would encourage you to run this by someone from the district too - probably the district executive.  You're starting to get into the area of co-mixing BSA branding and Masonic branding.  There are generally rules about this kind of thing.  Odds are that they'll say - hey, this is great.  But - I'd think it's worth confirming first.

Whenever you talk about things that affect how the logos and symbols are presented you risk running afoul of the marketing types. Most organizations do have pretty tight rules and guidelines about when things like this are and when they are not allowed. Even if nobody in BSA sees a problem with it, you might have a problem with the Masons, who would also need to buy in (and probably not at your local lodge level).

Here is some info on BSA's branding standards, but you may want to dig deeper on uniform-specific issues:
https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/310-0231.pdf 
https://scoutingwire.org/bsa-brand-center/brand-identity/