Beginning of wolf year but only 2nd year for son

I've read that there are a lot of kids that get excited at first when they join cub scouts which was the case with my son.  Over time though he started pulling the whole, "I hate scouts and don't want to go" routine.

Now we are in his 2nd year and I don't know if I should force him.  It would be different if he had friends there but it seems in our group that they are all kids with severe issues, zero control and a sheer lack of discipline from the parents.  It would be different if only I noticed but when your kid gets in the car and asks what is wrong with the kids in his class makes me wonder.  

Has scouts turned into a program where only kids go that dont normally have social interaction with other kids or is it just where we are at?  I'm tempted on pulling him and starting over because I dont want him to think this is how all cub scouts are unless it really is.  

He has a lot of friends at school so that isnt the problem.  If I could best explain it, it would be if you took those one or two kids you hear about every year causing chaos and out of control in the classroom and multiplied that by 20 and stuck them in scouts that would be his den.

Any help would be greatly appreciated 

@Johnapollo138, welcome to Scouter. 

Need more information, please. Does this pack meet at your church, at your school, or someplace else?

What is the age group?  My guess is Wolf or Bear...

The program goal of cub scouting is “keep it simple, make it fun.”  If it’s not fun for him, then Matt above has a very valid option. 

I await your responses 🙂

They meet at a local church.   His group is Wolf.   He had fun at first but it easily gets ruined by how crazy it is in there.  What really sucks is that I spent so much on new camping gear for our next trip and now we may give it a break for a while.

We may still go on our own camping trips though since he really liked going last year

I would look at other Packs in the area. I’d also take an objective look at the Den he’s in.  How many youth?  How many adult leaders?  Is there a Scouts BSA Den Chief?  Is he being used as a big brother or sister the littles look up to and want to emulate?

Cub Scouting IS herding kiddos, but the leaders need to be doing said herding. 

I do suspect that scouting does draw quirky kids more so than other situations. And Wolf year is kinda the worst, second graders can be really loud in groups, but can't really focus yet.

Looking at a different unit can help, if there's a more controlled group try there.

@Johnapollo138, welcome to the forums!

Don't frustrate your scout. Put that gear to use and take him and the rest of your family camping!

When he's 11 he might want to be in Scouts BSA. But, he almost certainly wont if he feels like he has to do it.

When boys are older, they realize that working with rowdy kids can be a labor of love. But when they are young it feels like too much bullying and peer pressure.

• Upvote 1

Sorry to be late to this.

Kids with severe issues, zero control, and lack of partental discipline is not the norm at all.  Yeah, as others have said - that's a more challenging age range in general.  But, what you describe is unusual - at least in my area.

I'd look at other packs before I gave up on Cub Scouts.  I'd encourage you to ask around your sons friend circle and see if anyone is in Scouts.  There's a decent chance there are some and they might be in a pack nearby.  It definitely good for your son to Scout with friends.  If that doesn't work, I'd call up the local District Executive (paid Scouting person who supports your community).  That person will know who has the best packs in the area.  I'd visit with those packs.

• Upvote 1