Jump to content
Momleader

Fundraiser shutdown

Recommended Posts

Talking with a friend in another council (next State) over the weekend about fundraisers and different ones that were profitable. 

They told me their Pack & Troop was doing a badge sewing day. Shirts updated, sashes even stuff for girl scouts updated. They had some moms & sewing machines, matching threads all lined up and willing. $5 to update a shirt or buck a badge. 

Local council found out and pitched a fit. Because the scout store does it and the $$ goes to friends of scouting. (They charge a lot more than $5/shirt).   

They also said they were made to feel it was because they don’t sell popcorn  (their HS football boosters sell the fancy prepopped cones of popcorn and has the market) 

I understand there are rules for a reason but this wasn’t going to make the group rich at all. They were hoping to use the $$ for some shared equipment (large grill and new fire pit supplies).  But seems councils always need their cut - even if the offer no support of a particular event/project. 

Edited by Momleader
Spelling error

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, did the council actually shut it down, or someone throw a fit?  Like many things, as long as you are not set up right next to the shop, or meeting customers from the entrance, it shouldn't be a problem.  It seem like it is legal, moral, ethical, and is a service not provided by the council's stationary option.  Taking it on the road can help out other units also.  I see this also being used at many motorcycle rallies and events.  We know everyone loves their patches and showing them.

Seems an official stance needs to be made.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your friends next move should be to hold the event for free. Announce that donations will be accepted for threads and sewing needles. I'm sure a few tens and twenties will also find their way into the donation box.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Qwazse - that’s freakin brilliant!  My friend just said that the DE told them they weren’t allowed to do that per council because the scout store already does it and the funds are for FOS and that other fundraisers are usually ok but they really should sell popcorn first since that’s the council approved one.   I have 4 uniforms that needed updating at my house. I was gonna take them 🤪 and save my sanity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem IMHO is that the system is backwards. The councils primary function should be to support the units. It appears the council believes the units should support the council. The units primary function is to support the patrols. The patrols primary function is to support each other. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, qwazse said:

Your friends next move should be to hold the event for free. Announce that donations will be accepted for threads and sewing needles. I'm sure a few tens and twenties will also find their way into the donation box.

There was an article in Scouting Magazine about doing a fundraiser asking for donations only. https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2014/01/30/upon-further-review-troops-grocery-bagging-fundraiser-isnt-permitted/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, CNYScouter said:

There was an article in Scouting Magazine about doing a fundraiser asking for donations only. https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2014/01/30/upon-further-review-troops-grocery-bagging-fundraiser-isnt-permitted/

Did I say anything about asking for cash donations?

Did I even call it a fundraiser?

We're scouts, doing good turns without asking for anything in return. It's not as "freaking brilliant" as @Momleader, thinks. It's just what we do.

To be fair to a council, I think we all should be conscientious about FoS. At our events, it is reasonable to have flyers or a poster about committed giving to the BSA. I always run into someone asking us how to do that anyway. It doesn't hurt to be prepared to explain that to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, CNYScouter said:

There was an article in Scouting Magazine about doing a fundraiser asking for donations only. https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2014/01/30/upon-further-review-troops-grocery-bagging-fundraiser-isnt-permitted/

Interesting article.  I followed the links in there to the FAQ and the Fund Raising Application.

There, I had to pause at guideline #5...

5. If a commercial product is to be sold, will it be sold on its own merits and without reference to the needs of Scouting? All commercial products must sell on their own merits, not the benefit received by the Boy Scouts. The principle of value received is critical in choosing what to sell.

Soooooo, you're telling me that popcorn is actually *WORTH* the ridiculously inflated prices shown in the Trails End catalog?  If it weren't for the promised "benefit to the Boy Scouts", would ANYBODY ever buy so much as a kernel of the stuff?   

Sign me, 
Skeptical

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mrkstvns said:

5. If a commercial product is to be sold, will it be sold on its own merits and without reference to the needs of Scouting? All commercial products must sell on their own merits, not the benefit received by the Boy Scouts. The principle of value received is critical in choosing what to sell.

Soooooo, you're telling me that popcorn is actually *WORTH* the ridiculously inflated prices shown in the Trails End catalog?  If it weren't for the promised "benefit to the Boy Scouts", would ANYBODY ever buy so much as a kernel of the stuff?   

It's not just an issue with Trails End popcorn.  Same issue with Girl Scout Cookies.  And the candybars that the sports teams sell.  Etc. Etc. Etc.    It seems like these sorts of fundraisers are teaching the kids to beg.

One of the troops in our town has a really great fundraiser.  Collecting and disposing of Christmas Trees after Christmas.   It seems that no-one else provides this service and it is valued by its customers -- at least every year on the neighborhood email list some neighbor starts asking about who they can contact to haul away their tree.

Do y'all have more ideas of great fundraisers that provide useful services that people want?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my area, the city will take away your Christmas tree for free...just drag it to the curb on trash day.  We used to annually take part in a local troop's mulch sale...place orders in advance, then on the designated Saturday, a pickup truck and trailer full of mulch would show up and a bunch of Scouts would haul wheelbarrows full of mulch to your yard and dump them where you wanted...in the driveway, or at individual beds.  They wouldn't spread it, but the service was fantastic!.

Also, the local high school girl's volleyball team would have a leaf raking service...order in advance and the whole team would show up with rakes and bags and within about an hour, the whole yard would be raked and bagged.  They asked for donations, but I think my wife would always hand them about $200.  It was well worth it as we are getting on in years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, mrkstvns said:

Interesting article.  I followed the links in there to the FAQ and the Fund Raising Application.

There, I had to pause at guideline #5...

5. If a commercial product is to be sold, will it be sold on its own merits and without reference to the needs of Scouting? All commercial products must sell on their own merits, not the benefit received by the Boy Scouts. The principle of value received is critical in choosing what to sell.

Soooooo, you're telling me that popcorn is actually *WORTH* the ridiculously inflated prices shown in the Trails End catalog?  If it weren't for the promised "benefit to the Boy Scouts", would ANYBODY ever buy so much as a kernel of the stuff?   

Sign me, 
Skeptical

Those rules only apply to unit fundraisers, not council sponsored fundraisers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Treflienne said:

...

One of the troops in our town has a really great fundraiser.  Collecting and disposing of Christmas Trees after Christmas.   It seems that no-one else provides this service and it is valued by its customers -- at least every year on the neighborhood email list some neighbor starts asking about who they can contact to haul away their tree.

...

That sounds like a great idea!  

What I like about that is that, not only can the scouts sell that service as a fundraiser, they can also do it as a conservation project.  There are land conservation groups that would likely be happy to have the mulch if your group is able to have the trees run through a chipper.  Here in Texas, there are beach communities that have used old Christmas trees to re-build dunes along the Gulf of Mexico.  

A quick Google search shows that similar beach erosion and dune replenishment projects are done elsewhere.  Here's a story about doing it on the Carolina coast:
https://www.coastalreview.org/2017/01/old-christmas-trees-can-build-new-dunes/ 

Who knows....a creative scout might be able to turn that fundraiser into a great Hornaday project (or maybe even an Eagle project).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×