On 11/15/2019 at 1:44 PM, 5thGenTexan said:

In case anyone is interested.. I go Jan 26 for the first weekend.  :)

I was looking over the 20 questions tonight.  HA HA HA.  Nevermind.  Woodbadge is obviously designed for individuals who have high self worth and are optimists.  I'd just like some additional training.. not a way to further beat myself up.

• Downvote 1
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a non-Wood Badger, but with 20+ years of scouting experience, just remember that scouts don't know or care about Wood Badge. They only care about what you say and do, and how you treat them. So, us

Weird part was the camporee  wasn't at the restaurant, it was at a church nearby the Restaurant.  We got up there and found all the garbage in there and the troops decided that it'd be a good service

Please note that we have denoted all uniform police to insignia dorks. Use that term in all future posts.

7 hours ago, 5thGenTexan said:

I was looking over the 20 questions tonight.  HA HA HA.  Nevermind.  Woodbadge is obviously designed for individuals who have high self worth and are optimists.  I'd just like some additional training.. not a way to further beat myself up.

The great thing about scouting is that it's a very rich program, full of opportunities for people of diverse interests.

If Wood Badge isn't the kind of training you want, maybe Powder Horn will be more up your alley.  Or maybe take an NRA class and become a shooting sports guru....or one of the American Canoe Association (ACA) instructor classes ---- there's never enough adults in the troop who really know how to teach paddle sports!  I've heard that BSA is rolling out an Angler Instructor certification class....maybe that would be of more interest. 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, 5thGenTexan said:

I've staffed Wood Badge courses and see all kinds of people attend. 

I think it's pretty fair to say that it certainly helps to see value in being an optimistic, goal oriented leader.   Yes, it would be useful to be optimistic enough to think you can achieve that goal.

But, yeah - if you look at the 20 questions and alarm bells go off, then a different kind of course probably makes more sense.  As @mrkstvns suggests, perhaps the subject matter courses would be a more comfortable fit.

Edited by ParkMan
accidental hit enter too soon. added final thought
On 11/21/2019 at 7:51 AM, mrkstvns said:

The great thing about scouting is that it's a very rich program, full of opportunities for people of diverse interests.

If Wood Badge isn't the kind of training you want, maybe Powder Horn will be more up your alley.  Or maybe take an NRA class and become a shooting sports guru....or one of the American Canoe Association (ACA) instructor classes ---- there's never enough adults in the troop who really know how to teach paddle sports!  I've heard that BSA is rolling out an Angler Instructor certification class....maybe that would be of more interest. 

10 hours ago, ParkMan said:

I've staffed Wood Badge courses and see all kinds of people attend. 

I think it's pretty fair to say that it certainly helps to see value in being an optimistic, goal oriented leader.   Yes, it would be useful to be optimistic enough to think you can achieve that goal.

But, yeah - if you look at the 20 questions and alarm bells go off, then a different kind of course probably makes more sense.  As @mrkstvns suggests, perhaps the subject matter courses would be a more comfortable fit.

I dont need any future training.  I will not be a leader any longer after Dec 31.  I cancelled my course reservation this morning

• Sad 3
4 minutes ago, 5thGenTexan said:

I dont need any future training.  I will not be a leader any longer after Dec 31.  I cancelled my course reservation this morning

I'm sorry to hear that.  Scouting will be the poorer for it.

If I could make an encouragement.  Scouting needs people who are willing to help in a number of places.  I respect that you reached your frustration point and are done.  Consider finding a different spot to help out.  Perhaps as a merit badge counselor.  Perhaps as a member of the camporee staff.  Help with the Eagle process.  Perhaps running shooting sports ranges.  These kind of roles are almost always overlooked, but Scouting can be so much stronger when great, passionate volunteers get involved in them.

• Upvote 1
22 minutes ago, ParkMan said:

I'm sorry to hear that.  Scouting will be the poorer for it.

If I could make an encouragement.  Scouting needs people who are willing to help in a number of places.  I respect that you reached your frustration point and are done.  Consider finding a different spot to help out.  Perhaps as a merit badge counselor.  Perhaps as a member of the camporee staff.  Help with the Eagle process.  Perhaps running shooting sports ranges.  These kind of roles are almost always overlooked, but Scouting can be so much stronger when great, passionate volunteers get involved in them.

I am quitting because of poor self esteem and depression.  I am going to use the free time to sit at home and not burden others with my incompetence.  Honestly!!  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, 5thGenTexan said:

I am quitting because of poor self esteem and depression.  I am going to use the free time to sit at home and not burden others with my incompetence.  Honestly!!  

Oh.  Sorry to hear that. 

I guess I'd say that I've found the Scouting community to be wonderfully embracing and friendly.  Sure, not every unit is like that, but many are.  Certainly as I've gotten more involved in my district and council I've got a number of wonderful friends that genuinely seem to be really glad I'm here.   I'd encourage you to put your uniform on, head to a roundtable, district committee, or commissioner's meeting and say hi.  I bet you'll find some really nice folks who are glad to see you. 

• Upvote 1
On 11/22/2019 at 11:26 AM, ParkMan said:

Oh.  Sorry to hear that. 

I guess I'd say that I've found the Scouting community to be wonderfully embracing and friendly.  Sure, not every unit is like that, but many are.  Certainly as I've gotten more involved in my district and council I've got a number of wonderful friends that genuinely seem to be really glad I'm here.   I'd encourage you to put your uniform on, head to a roundtable, district committee, or commissioner's meeting and say hi.  I bet you'll find some really nice folks who are glad to see you. 

I am sure its not what everyone in the district "wants" me to do, BUT... so I don't miss out on training opportunities coming up I went ahead and signed up for our University of Scouting that happens Jan 4.  There is also an IOLS course Jan 11.  I took BALOO/IOLS last March together, but I feel like I could do a repeat and it would be worth my time.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 5thGenTexan said:

I am sure its not what everyone in the district "wants" me to do, BUT... so I don't miss out on training opportunities coming up I went ahead and signed up for our University of Scouting that happens Jan 4.  There is also an IOLS course Jan 11.  I took BALOO/IOLS last March together, but I feel like I could do a repeat and it would be worth my time.

Those sound like wonderful things to do.  Very nice idea!

I don't know your district personally - but if it's like mine, there's a ton of things you can do as a volunteer.  You could serve on staff at different district events - perhaps cook crew for a camporee, or running a station at a Cub Scout Event.  It sounds like you might enjoy training, so maybe you could help as a district level trainer.  Maybe you enjoy Shooting Sports and want to help on the ranges.  Maybe you'd enjoy being an active merit badge counsellor.  If you want a little more active role, consider being a unit commissioner. 

I like to think of district level service as community based Scouting.  You get to find ways to help multiple packs & troops all around your area.

If you're not sure about how to help, the people I'd probably meet and talk to are the district commissioner, district chair, and district program chair.  They'll probably have a pretty good view of what's needed and be able to match your skills with the needs of the group.

On 11/24/2019 at 11:40 PM, ParkMan said:

Those sound like wonderful things to do.  Very nice idea!

I don't know your district personally - but if it's like mine, there's a ton of things you can do as a volunteer.  You could serve on staff at different district events - perhaps cook crew for a camporee, or running a station at a Cub Scout Event.  It sounds like you might enjoy training, so maybe you could help as a district level trainer.  Maybe you enjoy Shooting Sports and want to help on the ranges.  Maybe you'd enjoy being an active merit badge counsellor.  If you want a little more active role, consider being a unit commissioner. 

I like to think of district level service as community based Scouting.  You get to find ways to help multiple packs & troops all around your area.

If you're not sure about how to help, the people I'd probably meet and talk to are the district commissioner, district chair, and district program chair.  They'll probably have a pretty good view of what's needed and be able to match your skills with the needs of the group.

People won't let me quit.   Have Den Leaders telling me to knock it off, people who have been with the organization in town for a long time telling me to knock it off.  I was at our Scout Hut last night with my daughter for Girl Scouts.  The Boy Troop Committee meeting was taking place as well and they gave me an application to be on the Troop Committee, then spent 45 minutes after that meeting telling me to knock it off.  So, I guess I am still going to be a Cub Master and Den Leader. 

43 minutes ago, 5thGenTexan said:

People won't let me quit.   Have Den Leaders telling me to knock it off, people who have been with the organization in town for a long time telling me to knock it off.  I was at our Scout Hut last night with my daughter for Girl Scouts.  The Boy Troop Committee meeting was taking place as well and they gave me an application to be on the Troop Committee, then spent 45 minutes after that meeting telling me to knock it off.  So, I guess I am still going to be a Cub Master and Den Leader. 

Sounds like a big endorsement that the people around you think quite highly of you and your efforts. 

Not to be contrarian, but do take care of yourself. Your family and your personal health should always come before Scouting. If our home lives or health are in shambles, we aren't going to be doing our best for our Scouts. 

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, 5thGenTexan said:

One of the better pieces of advice I've received was - pick a role you like and do it well.  Don't try to do three jobs - you'll just end up doing each poorly.  Instead, focus on the one you like the best and make it really successful.

• Upvote 1
8 hours ago, ParkMan said:

One of the better pieces of advice I've received was - pick a role you like and do it well.  Don't try to do three jobs - you'll just end up doing each poorly.  Instead, focus on the one you like the best and make it really successful.

Excellent advice. When asked to think about it, seems like most Wood Badge participants find they wear several hats. While on staff, I guided the participants to do exactly as ParkMan advised, pick the one position that intrigues you the most and focus on doing that one thing very well. It's good advice. One CM was also the Webelos leader and Tiger leader. I showed her the skills of delegating and recruiting. As just a CM, her pack doubled in size. One really good Pack CC realized his skills would benefit hundreds more boys at the district level.  I really don't think what Parkman is saying is profound, I think it's what most of us want but are afraid to do.

Barry