• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a non-Wood Badger, but with 20+ years of scouting experience, just remember that scouts don't know or care about Wood Badge. They only care about what you say and do, and how you treat them. So, us

Weird part was the camporee  wasn't at the restaurant, it was at a church nearby the Restaurant.  We got up there and found all the garbage in there and the troops decided that it'd be a good service

Please note that we have denoted all uniform police to insignia dorks. Use that term in all future posts.

9 minutes ago, Scoutmom1989 said:

What kool aid

Some scouters here like to rag on wood badge because it does sometimes attract a certain overbearing personality. And some councils get really into the wood badge as a fun course of hijinks and traditions instead of a pretty decent leadership training course.

42 minutes ago, malraux said:

Some scouters here like to rag on wood badge because it does sometimes attract a certain overbearing personality.

Sadly I've encountered those folks. Their attitude is that if you don't wear beads, you don't know squat. Doesn't matter how long you been involved with the movement. Doesn't matter what you have done in the movement. No Beads= no knowledge.

44 minutes ago, malraux said:

And some councils get really into the wood badge as a fun course of hijinks and traditions instead of a pretty decent leadership training course.

Irony is that if these hijinks were done by Scouts, they would be in serious trouble.

1)   In Scouting, it's called "Bug Juice"   . The real  life events that led to the metaphor "Kool Aid " are very regrettable and often forgotten, if ever known.

2) Woodbadge, has a National Curriculum.  The course you take will therefore depend in large part on the Staff that leads it. Notice I did not say "teach", there can be a large difference in those two terms.  The Staff on your course will be very devoted to Scouting, that's a given, but as has been mentioned, the Bead Wearers that exit the course will use the learnt material in many ways.  For personal aggrandizement, to help the Scouts, for fun (what's your critter?),  for personal growth (the ideas and techniques are applicable in your family , work, not just Scouting) and for philosophical reflection. Up to you.

3)  When they start sending you stuff to fill out,  and write about,  sit down by yourself and be honest with yourself.  Most likely (a Scout is Trustworthy), you willnot be required to send in or even share your evaluations with anyone (except food.  If you love watermelon, SAY SO  !!) . 

4)  Bring some fun stuff with you . A silly hat. A Hawain shirt.  Rope.  Your best camp songs.   You just might need them.  Do you play the bugle?  let your Director know....

5)  Be open to new things and creative in defining your "tickets".   I was led to believe I could plan projects to benefit ANYTHING in Scouting.  Wrong.  They had to be in my "registered" position area.  As a ASM, they said I couldn't do Cub Scouting!   What to do?   This is how I found out what a Commissioner is! And now I are one ! 

6)   Goforth  and do Scouting.   See you on the trail !

23 hours ago, Scoutmom1989 said:

I cannot wait its on 5 days as of tommorrow and the anticipation and the eagarness to get there is killing me im so excited to be embarking on this new adventure and all advice is helpful

You will learn that "all feedback is a gift".  Even the kind you might not want to hear....

I heard im going to learn things about myself i didnt even know but im gonna make a whole bunch of life long friends and have the experience of a life time thats what everyone keeps telling me but I also hear theres a fire hose is that literal or metaphorical