Religious Emblem Counselor Training

I am interested in becoming a counsleor for the Catholic religious emblems. I was just contacted by the chairman of the local Diocesan committee, and was informed that the next training was scheduled for March of 2005. Does that seem odd to anyone else but me?

We only offer this training once a year. Mainly because we don't get that many people taking it and we have a priest as the person in charge. As you know at present priests are stretched to the limit.

It sounds as if you are just too late for one and way too early for the next.

Still all good things come to those who wait. I wanted a baby brother and I'm still waiting.

Eamonn.

I'm taking my BOR next week for my Pope Pius XII. I believe our diocease training is held once a year and its 2nd or 3rd weekend in september. I think they might have monthly meetings bot to sure. If you look on the Cathic COmm. on scouting web site they do have a rosarty patch could help others get and other awards i think without any training.

I used to chair the Catholic Committe on Scouting for my Archdiocese. I understand your concern. I agree that it can be frustrating for folks that want to counsel emblems to be told the training is completed for the year.

The Catholic emblems require trained counselors. We found that often potential counselors decide to start a group after the training is done. We have been fortunate to have a group of dedicated scouters willing to step forward to volunteer to do this training several times a year. I would discuss your concerns with the chair in your Diocese.

It may be that you will have to wait to next year to start. If that is the case, look for several other adults to help with the emblem program in your unit or district. It is always better to have a group of counselors working together. Thanks for stepping up to help out with this important scouting ministry.

JimmyD, go gently. You comment should be directed to the Diocese not the Council. As was noted religious emblems are not the responsibilty of "scouting." Some of our parishes work on the emblems in conjunction w/ Youth Ministry, CYO is not just Sports any more!

By the way some Diocesan Catholic Comittee's restrict the use of the Chaplain's Patch to "ordained Minister's or members of religious orders." I think that most scouters would agree that every unit should have at least a "Chaplain's Aide." Please spin this off if you really want to pursue this line... I just find it interesting.

Bob

Hey Eamonn,

I'm 47, do I qualify as a little brother? My hair is even patchy on top like a baby and I have what would pass as baby fat. :)

To everyone else, I have a question about religious emblems. How do you find qualified intructors for your faith? We have a brand new troop of eight 11 year olds of what I'm sure are variuos protestant faiths. How do we go about finding someone who can work with them on earning their emblem?

Contrary to the belief of at least one Troop in my District, which "teaches" the awards in the unit meetings, seeing that scouts earn their awards is not a responsibility of the Troop or Pack. Our job as unit leaders is to promote the awards and make sure the scouts and their parents are aware of the oppportunity. I know that some Catholic Committees on Scouting have organized "classes" and they run them through every year, culminating with a large (100+ Boy and Girl SCouts) cermony/mass where the medals are awarded en masse by the Bishop. But, as a Lutheran scout, I was on my own and earned the Pro Deo et Patria award by working one on one with my Pastor. Luckily, he was aware of the program and we completed it. It involved many, many hours of service, discussions, and a project, all completed on my own. It was not a matter of just showing up for class. I have to say, it was harder to complete than Eagle.(This message has been edited by scoutldr)

scoutldr,

Look at the requirements for the award and examine the program before you criticize. I have had the pleasure of sitting on boards of review for dozens of young men and women that have received emblems. They have worked hard on their own and participated fruitfully in their groups. All have come to a deeper understanding of their faith. Most have expressed a deeper commitment to bringing it into their everyday lives.

These emblems should not be set up as the program for regular scout meetings. I have seen classes addressed and organized during meetings but the religious emblem meetings occur at separate times. These programs should enhance the scout program not replace it. Just as the program should enhance and not replace the regular religious education in which the youth should be participating.

When I was aware that a troop was running the program incorrectly, I made sure that they understood how the program should run.

And yes, we anually had over one hundred youth recognized. I was always pleased that we had such a high level of participation.

The "classes" that I know of that are run by the Catholic Committee on Scouting (for BSA not GSUSA) are simply training classes for the Religious Emblem facilitators and coordinators.

We do have Religious Emblem meetings at the Troop level, but it is usually just the boys who are working towards a specific medal and the facilitator for that medal. They always meet outside of regular Troop meeting times. As Firstpusk stated, these emblems are not just "gimme's" that the boys get for showing up at a meeting. There is a lot of work involved and much of it is done individualy and then shared at the meetings. The finished work must be approved by our Pastor and then a Religious Emblem BOR.

For the Cub Scout level emblems, the boys work on their own with their families. When they have finished, they must have a conference with our Pastor who then signs off in their workbook.

The Girl Scouts work on different emblems than the Boy Scouts do. Their facilitators also must be trained by the Archdiocese, but their training is thru the Catholic Youth Organization. They also can not work on their emblems during regular Troop meeting time. There is a lot of work involved in all of the Religious Emblems. No "gimmee's" here either and yes, all of these emblems, both boys and girls, are indeed earned.

The Archdiocese of Chicago holds 2 yearly Scout ceremonies at Holy Name Cathedral in downtown Chicago. One in February for the Boy Scouts, Venturer and adult BSA Scouters who are receiving medals. One in March for the older Girl Scouts, Camp Fire and adults. Yes, there are usually 100+ youth and adults receiving recognition at each of these events. The ceremonies are very moving and the Cathedral is beautiful. It is a wonderful way for the Archdiocese to recognize all of the hard work done by these individuals from across the Chicago area.

These scouts are recognized again, along with Cub Scouts and younger Girl Scouts who receive their medals, at ceremonies in their own parishes on either Boy Scout Sunday (Feb) or Girl Scout Sunday (Mar).

My daughter, 18, has earned all 5 of the Catholic Emblems available for GS youth. Two of these she received at Holy Name Cathedral. My son, 15, has earned 3 of the 4 emblems available to him. One of these he received at the Cathedral. He is planning to start work on his last emblem this year.

firstpusk: You're right, I apologize for any perception of criticism. I have not examined the Catholic requirements nor how they are "mentored". But the sheer numbers that get cranked through the program every year are sure impressive, compared to other denominations. I must admit the concept of a "Board of Review" for a religious emblem was new to me.

sctldr,

Sorry if I seemed a bit testy in my response. The BOR is in place to make sure that the counselors are following the program, just like in the BSA program. The program requires a fair amount from both the youth and the counselors. Still, we wanted the requiremetns to be followed rigorously. As ScoutNut indicated, the youth need to consult and get a signature from their pastor.

One thing I would like to clarify. A number of young women in the Archdiocese have earned the Pope Pius emblem through their participation in the Venturing program. Also, we have been conducting joint ceremonies with the Girl Scouts for a number of years.

My wife and I (girlfriend at the time) both earned our Pope Pious XII awards in 1979-1980 while officers in an Explorer Post. It was a great experience, and I hope to pass that on to today's scouts.