GPS usage may cause dementia

On 8/24/2019 at 6:42 PM, Owls_are_cool said:

@SSScout what GPS app was your wife using? I edit maps for Waze as a hobby and enjoy the challenge of getting the app to route better. Though i use the app more to determine my time of arrivals. I did map up a BSA camp we went to this year. They report some usefulness finding areas. 

I have no idea what app. It was her Schmart phone.  And it was , now, 12 plus years ago. 

The last time I did Map and Compass for CSDC,  Here is what I did:   We collected some real magnetic compasses from Oriental Trading, about 50cents per, but they really worked and one could navigate with them.  

I had collected a number of maps (!) and taped themup in the pavilion thus:   Nat Geo Map of the Universe, then "Local Cluster" then Milky Way Galaxy, then Solar System, then a world globe, then a Mercator Projection world Map, then a Buckminster Fuller Dymaxion projection world map, (what a difference!) , then a USA map, then a State (Maryland) map, then a County map, then a map of the campground/park, then,,,, Here we are !   As I pointed and talked about each map, noting the change in scale and detail, I mentioned how big or small a representation it was.. 

Then, I had the Cubs stand up with their compass, and we talked about magnets, steel tables, steel posts and belt buckles.  Everyone pointed North !  Now,  This group walks due East, this one due west, this one due north, this one due south for 100 paces ! Turn 90 degrees ! Walk 100 paces ! Look for the LandMark to walk toward !   etc. Most of the Cubs wound up (surprise...) eventually back where they started ! And they had a real compass....