GPS usage may cause dementia

An interesting podcast over at the Art of Manliness site if you have 45 minutes to give.

We also discuss recent research that suggests relying too heavily on GPS may increase your risk for dementia and be linked to other mental health problems. We end our conversation by musing on how it is that using GPS can shrink your sense of autonomy, while navigating on your own feels existentially empowering. 

Edited by RememberSchiff
fixed dementia spelling in topic title

HA !  Knew it all along.

True story:   Hawaiian vacation. Locals all say we HAVE to visit Waimea Falls. Scenic, historic, wildlife,  might go swimming, Waimea Falls....   Got in rentacar, me driving , wife in right seat, Scoutson in back with AAA guidebook and map. Wife sez, "Smartphone sez turn right, turn left turn right...." pretty soon, we are in a suburban subdivision, coulda been at home except for the palm trees.  Eventually, we are on a gravel road, facing a LOCKED chain link fence gate. I say, "this CAN'T be right".  Wife points to Smart phone and shrugs.

Then we see it.  A handpainted sign on the fence that reads: "NOT WAIMEA FALLS."   Scoutson takes the photo. 

Scoutson pulls out map, we are at Waimea falls in about 20 minutes..... 

I don't have time to listen, but this "research" isn't linked to in the show notes.  Does anyone who has listened have more information on this research?  I am having a hard time believing that an author of a book about how humans used to navigate is unbiased when interpreting research about GPS. 

Yes, I use Waze. I also use Google maps.  I like having a mental map, and details. 

My wife and I were in Eastern Indiana this summer, on one of the Interstates. Waze diverted us onto two lane. Turns out there was a major wreck, and we’d have been stuck for some time. 

Sadly, it is even hard to buy road maps online.  We had an old map of New England that we used for trip planning for years.  After many efforts to retape the seams, it fell apart.  I tried to find an equivalent map in stores, online, etc.  The best I could do was one printed in the 1980's which was from an "old" map dealer.  I ordered it and a couple of others, and they were packaged in a paper envelope, mailed by the dealer via UPS, which left them in the rain on my porch without ringing the bell.... oh well.

Ha!  For SSScout:  Waimea is a great location when you find it.  After living there, we hacked all GPS to put your tourists on edge. 

Heck anyone can rely on a totally accurate, no-battery compass.  That is so easy.  Its so easy a tenderfoot can use a compass. 

Now for those that love a challenge, use a GPS entirely.  Don't rely on maps, compass, or signs.  Stick to what your GPS says and have fun.  You will have such an adventure. 

Note:  If you are on any Hawaiian island, the GPS will never correctly say the road name...more of the fun challenge.

Fortunately though, most state highway departments still distribute free maps. (I get 'em at the Info Center / Rest Stops that are located near state lines).  For a map of the whole U.S., I use the Rand McNally book-style Road Atlas.  I still buy topo maps from USGS (nothing really matches them for doing any kind of map reading exercise).

No maps or compass.  Rely on intuition and GPS, you will never be wrong.  We are never late, only delayed.  All this talk of accurate maps and stuff is hogwash, stick your feelings and use the force.  Be sure to take food and water, no sense in filing a travel plan as you will not have a plan after a few hundred yards.  Oh, and use the moss on the trees to navigate.

20 hours ago, Double Eagle said:

No maps or compass.  Rely on intuition and GPS, you will never be wrong.  We are never late, only delayed.  All this talk of accurate maps and stuff is hogwash, stick your feelings and use the force.  Be sure to take food and water, no sense in filing a travel plan as you will not have a plan after a few hundred yards.  Oh, and use the moss on the trees to navigate.

Real men don't need moss on trees. They can smell which way the wind blows...(acceptable answers for 2nd Class requirement 3d).

• Haha 1