merit badge sash q2

43 minutes ago, MikeS72 said:

I bought my Scout his sash on our first trip to the Scout Shop after crossover last February, (had to buy the smallest available)  and as soon as he had earned his first MB, it was sewn on.  

I would go ahead an get the large NOW while there are not many MBs on it. Trust me on that. I've seen folks with MB sashes right underneath the armpit as they age.

28 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

I would go ahead an get the large NOW while there are not many MBs on it. Trust me on that. I've seen folks with MB sashes right underneath the armpit as they age.

I thought about that, but based on his doctor, it will be several years before we have to worry about much in the way of outgrowing anything.  Plus, in the year and a half since crossover, it has gone from 1 MB sewn on to 16, with 2 more to be added by the end of the month.  Once he does hit that inevitable growth spurt, he will have more than enough to hone his sewing skills, either by hand (as I did more than half a century ago) or on the sewing machine.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, rickmay said:

how many merit badges does a scout need to start attain before putting them on his/her sash?

Not even one.

Say a 1st class scout has attended several events where he as earned a patch and is very proud of those first three rank ovals and each temporary insignia. Get him a sash and have him stitch each insignia on the back side. That way, he'll have a sash just like his buddies at the next court of honor. Then he'll be ready to sew on his first (or first ten) MBs the evening that they are awarded.

I am trying to nudge the boys in my troop into doing the same thing.

1 hour ago, MikeS72 said:

to hone his sewing skills, either by hand (as I did more than half a century ago) or on the sewing machine.

Thank you for letting your scout sew his own badges. Far too often kids in general don't know the basics of how to sew and it's something I wish I had been taught when I was a kid. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/20/2019 at 8:16 AM, Eagle94-A1 said:

My son thought I was crazy when I bought a large one for him. I asked him if he wants to remove and resew all his MB's and patches as he grows 😂. Discussion ended quickly.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Double Eagle said:

From the sounds of this thread (pun intended), we need a 139th merit badge of "Sewing", and make it a required one

It would be politically inexpedient to introduce one within the next few years.  People would complain that the girls are changing the program.

Of course, to be able to sew on a button,  restitich a seam that has come loose,  and hem a pair of pants is really really useful for almost anyone.   To take a tuck in a waistband, to replace an elastic or zipper, or to make a costume for a special event -- also handy.    I was disappointed that GSUSA doesn't include sewing in its badges the way it used it.

2 hours ago, Double Eagle said:

From the sounds of this thread (pun intended), we need a 139th merit badge of "Sewing", and make it a required one.

As Treflienne says, it would be politically impossible to do so. Should have been a Tenderfoot or Second Class requirement years ago, though.  

But Rambo sewed his arm with only using the other hand.  A skill useful to any Bear (we know they get their knives then), and Tenderfoot as you know a knife is the first thing get.  If too hard for a new MB, how about adding it to First Aid, perform self or buddy stitches following an axe yard event.  All this is in jest BTW.

30 minutes ago, perdidochas said:

As Treflienne says, it would be politically impossible to do so. Should have been a Tenderfoot or Second Class requirement years ago, though.  

Agreed.  I'd assume most Scouts their their first MB while Tenderfoot rank or so, so maybe add, for 2nd Class:   "Without assistance, sew a merit badge onto a merit badge sash."