Excellent question.  I ran into the exact same situation. My personal opinion is the Scoutmaster wears the uniform because they by default represent the BSA Mission of the program. Anybody else can go as mom or dad. But, if the SM wants to go as mom or dad, I'm OK with that too.

Barry

• Like 1

I wore my uniform.  Partly because I wanted a nice photo of me and him in our "formal" uniform (necker & beads for me, MB sash for him). 

Most other folks in my Troop have kind of followed the "how active are you" thought process.  If they regularly attend Troop functions in uniform then they wore their uniform for their son's ECOH.  Even if they are very active, if they do not usually wear the uniform then they have not worn it for the ECOH.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If "Dad" dresses in tank top, swim trunks, and grass skirts ... go with the uniform. ;)

I wore my ASM uniform to my Sons' E-CoH's.

This is nothing new. My dad was a committee member, and in our troop, MC's never wore uniforms. Sunday best for CoHs. However, it's a big country with a lot of history. There are pictures in the archives of dads in uniforms at scouts' ECoHs. Heck, I think I remember one of a scout in uniform at his dad's ECoH!

Some dads who are pros wear the professional dress uniform.

Whatever you put on, don't forget the most important part: smile! It's a great day.

Edited by qwazse
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This is one I'm somewhat wrestling with as well.  My son's ECoH is coming up in six or seven weeks.  I'm a committee member, and I come to nearly every meeting.  Generally I wear a class B, but I do don the class A for Courts of Honor and when we go on outings and campouts.  Because of that, I'll probably wear my class A at my son's ECoH, since that's what I normally wear to Courts of Honor.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, David CO said:

Ooh.  A Hawaiian themed event.  I could go for that! 

Good point, if the ECoH is at the beach, and surf's up, bring your board and hang ten!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, vol_scouter said:

It is your son's Eagle Court of Honor so let him decide. They usually want dad in uniform if he has been active in the troop with the soon to be Eagle but it is not always that way.

I concur. This is his event, so let him decide. We can only offer suggestions and anecdotes, but the final choices should lie in his hands, just as they have for his entire Scouting career (or should have at any rate).