World Jamboree - Cultural Discoveries

How about a different spin on the 24th World Scout Jamboree after-action review? What did we learn that we didn't know before? Here's three for starters:

• While we tend to select our most seasoned scouters as SM's for Jambo units, other countries tend to select younger scouters. Our Danish neighbors' SMs were the same ages (and some with the same career) as my kids. Their scouts did explain that they also had retirees who were SMs, but at world events, they tended to serve in contingent management.
  • Hills. Well, I tend to take them for granted. But most folks who I talk to never camped in such "rugged" terrain. (I think the Swiss were the only ones who had experienced anything of the sort.) I had to explain, that not every camp is like this, but most of the ones that I attended were.
  • Donated land for scout camps. Our Indian neighbors were tremendously surprised that someone would contribute this much property for the purposes of scouting. It seemed like any property they used was either owned by a government or religious institution.

Either personally, or through a scout who attended Jambo, what have your learned?

Kind of a minor observation, but I sort of get a chuckle when I see US scouts and scouters so quickly switch from the tight neckerchief to the loose friendship knot style as soon as they get to jambo. :)

And I wish they kept it that way when they got back home. I think we're a bit too tightened up when it comes to uniforms compared to many of our overseas friends in scouting.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, FireStone said:

Kind of a minor observation, but I sort of get a chuckle when I see US scouts and scouters so quickly switch from the tight neckerchief to the loose friendship knot style as soon as they get to jambo. :)

And I wish they kept it that way when they got back home. I think we're a bit too tightened up when it comes to uniforms compared to many of our overseas friends in scouting.

FWIW, I received Dutch and Indian neckerchief slides. So, don't think the rest of the world isn't going home to tight neckerchiefs!