Which square knots to wear and why

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There is no formal order of precedence of square knot awards, but mine are starting to accrue in an unattractive way.  It got me thinking about how to sort and rank them for the purpose of shaving the

Boy, I feel as if I have covered this topic SO MANY TIMES over the past few years ... but suffice it to say, I think that to ask "what's the harm?" is to ask the wrong question. The better question is

The timber hitch should be the "learning the tautline hitch"

49 minutes ago, jr56 said:

I think employees of National Scout shops have had their's  capped at 6 also for awhile now.

When I worked part time for National Supply in college, my boss  did not want me wearing any of my knots. And she didn't want me wearing my jamboree insignia either.  All I could wear was my employee patch and WC. 

However 3 years later when I went to work full time for her, she had no problem with my knots or jamboree insignia. And when I went to the shop the other day, two of the 3 sales clerks had knots on. And in the past one clerk had beads on.

6 hours ago, Eagledad said:

I haven't heard they were going away and I'm kind of sad, a lot of Cub volunteers were very proud of them. I admit though, I have a box full of dusty knots that I don't have any clue what they represent. Since I'm your basic procrastinator, I haven't sewed them on yet. Maybe in a few years when my grand kids join. Maybe.

Barry

Going away might not be the right word, more like consolidated. Instead of a tiger knot, del leader knot, webelos knot, there's a single knot that you can earn devices for. I personally like it, as it would be a bit weird to rack up a row of knots for a few years of den leader. Similarly, the different training knots for different programs have been consolidated as have the unit leader ones.

I personally don't like the devices as they are a pain, figuratively and literally. Plus there are big differences between being a TDL, CSDL and WDL. So I didn't mind

Regarding the training award knots, all they consolidated were the Cub Scouter,  DL Coach, and the Scouter Training Award. The Scouter Training Award had devices for Boy Scouters, Sea Scouters, and Venturing folks. They just added the Tiger, CS and Webelos pins on them.

• Upvote 1

I suppose if I ever were to accrue so many knots, I would simply go by which nine knots meant the most to me. For example, my knots for the Arrow of Light and Eagle ranks are the most important to me since they represent my greatest accomplishments in Cub and Boy Scouts. Yet others are nice, but not as important - for example, the Scouter's Training Award is very nice and represents a lot of tenure and training, but in a way, all it really conveys to my mind is that I met the measure of expectation for my position - nothing too extraordinary when compared to the greater service represented by one of the Silver awards. But if I had to choose between my youth religious emblem and, say, a Hornaday award, I would choose that religious emblem because I value what it represents to my personal growth even over whatever the more prized award could have taught me. Every knot has its own story, so choose those that mean the most to you, regardless of how they may be ranked or esteemed by others. I believe the limit of nine is wisdom on the part of national - it gives us the opportunity consider our various experiences and accomplishments and reflect on which ones have made the most difference in our lives, and then to learn how to par them down to the essentials. 

So by your heart, line them up by which are the most dear to you, and just go with the first nine. It's a wonderful way of learning to express ourselves within the parameters of given standards and expectations; a small lesson perhaps, but one that speaks volumes about our character.

• Upvote 1
18 hours ago, TMSM said:

An updated SM award? What does it look like?

I am currently at 10 knots and put them on sequentially starting with AOL. I am going to stick with 3 rows of 3 for now.

knotunitleadermerit.jpg

This is the old one through NESA

knotscoutmastermerit.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have 13 and I wear all of them on one shirt. These knots signify my journey as a young scout and then through the years as a scouter.  My top three are Eagle, Silver Beaver, and the NESA Scoutmester Award of Merit.  As a side note, if we took a picture of my nuclear family of 5 there would be 2-four beaders; 1-three bearer, 2-two beaders; 3-Eagle Scouts; 2-Silver Beavers;2-District Awards of Merit; 1-Sea Badger; 3-Explorer Post Presidents; and a Vigil Honor OA member. We also have one almost Eagle Scout.  I'm pretty proud of this Scouting Legacy.  P.S. : On all of my other shirts I wear 6 knots.

• 5 months later...
On 8/2/2019 at 4:51 PM, DeaconLance said:

The last official BSA recommended sequence from 1979:

Honor Medal

Silver Buffalo

Silver Antelope

Silver Beaver

District Award of Merit

Order of the Arrow Distinguished Service Award

Medal of Merit

Eagle

Quartermaster

Silver

Youth Religious Emblem

Adult Religious Emblem

Other Scout

Scouter's Key 

Scouter Training Award 

Den Leader Training Award

Den Leader Coach Training Award

https://www.sageventure.com/history/knothist/

Cool that my guess kind of came close, but for youth capstone awards

32 minutes ago, mashmaster said:

There should be a knot that just says, yeah been there done that.

Kind of what I say every time I am asked by an over enthusiastic Wood Badge staff member "Don't you want to go to Wood Badge?", without bothering to look closely enough to see the 3 beads I am wearing. 

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, mashmaster said:

There should be a knot that just says, yeah been there done that....

Maybe we also need one that says, "Hey, brand new parent of a proud Lion cub, but I already know everything you could possible say, so don't bother trying to tell me anything"

Edited by mrkstvns
22 hours ago, MikeS72 said:

Kind of what I say every time I am asked by an over enthusiastic Wood Badge staff member "Don't you want to go to Wood Badge?", without bothering to look closely enough to see the 3 beads I am wearing. 

I make a point to look at knots, pins and full uniform before I start that conversation, just for that reason

On 1/28/2020 at 2:55 PM, mrkstvns said:

Maybe we also need one that says, "Hey, brand new parent of a proud Lion cub, but I already know everything you could possible say, so don't bother trying to tell me anything"

I think I just met her on Facebook.  Rude and nasty, too.