To have an ECOH or not

Once in a while we have one.  It is not so much that they dont want a ceremony, more that life is busy and they dont care enough about the ceremony to plan a big thing (a venue, invitations, food etc). 

We talk to them about doing something so family and friends get a chance to recognize their efforts.  We offer a simple ceremony as part of our normal court of honor - this usually works out to be 10ish minutes for inspirational words (usually an "Eagle Charge") and presentation of the award (including mothers, fathers and mentor pins).  Our COH is pot luck so that covers food.  We already have the location and send invites so those are covered too.  All the Scout has to plan is choosing who he wants to do each of the speaking parts.

• Upvote 1

I didn’t want one for the longest time until my troop sort of kept pushing it and then we decided to have a full ceremony with dinner. I do not regret it, it was a great experience. I hate being the center of attention, but it felt deserved this time.

After doing Eagle Scoutmaster Conferences for 30+ years, one of the questions I always asked was "When did you decide you wanted to become an Eagle?"  And one of the most popular responses was "When I was at so and so's Eagle COH."  So it is not only for the eagle candidate. but is a great inspiration for younger scouts.

Dale

• Upvote 3
2 hours ago, jjlash said:

We offer a simple ceremony as part of our normal court of honor - this usually works out to be 10ish minutes for inspirational words (usually an "Eagle Charge") and presentation of the award (including mothers, fathers and mentor pins).  Our COH is pot luck so that covers food.  We already have the location and send invites so those are covered too.  All the Scout has to plan is choosing who he wants to do each of the speaking parts.

IMHO, this is the best ECOH.  I've seen so so many poorly attended ECOHs that I like a ECOH that is an extension to a normal relaxed fun COH.  

Also ... my personal preference is ... every COH should be a pot luck.  Food builds fellowship.

• Upvote 1

Had a couple of Scouts who did not want a ECOH.  More disappointment to the parents than the Scout.

However, when I was a Scout (in the dark ages of the 1958-1969) there were no ECOHs.  Eagle presentations were held at the District COH where all advancements were recognized.  Everything from all ranks along with Merit Badges, etc.

At one DCOH there were 10 Eagles presented, with 7 coming from one troop.

I have known Scouts who did not want a full blown special ECoH. I have known Scouts that settled for an elongated "normal"  Troop CoH.  I have known Scouts that relished the notoriety of the hotel catered dinner with speech from the State Senator.  I have known Scouts that "went thru"  the CoH for their parents and were never seen again at any Scout event. 

My favorite was a pair of brothers.  The older waited for his younger to pass his EBoR and then they planned a campout on their grandparents' farm.  Everything and everyone had to hike in to the site about 500 yards.  Tables set up, campfire, candles, bring your own campchair, SM and other speeches (short !). Campfood, stew, brownies, coffee and cold water and ice tea.   . Very moving as the sun went down and the shadows lengthened. At the close of the ceremony,  all the civilians(!) packed up and went home. The Scouts stayed and the visiting (so I am told) went long into the night. 

• Upvote 2

I've watch and worked with enough scouts to feel there really isn't a "best" ECOH. But, my favorites are the ones done on camp outs. The sun is usually low in the sky, the birds are chirping and the smell of nature all come together making it feel perfect.

Barry

The more I age, the more selfish I become. :) Tell you why in a minute.

When I had my COH, I did it for several reasons. Yes, I busted my butt and wanted the recognition. Not going to lie about that . But I also knew how important it was for the younger Scouts. As @eagle90 stated, a lot of times an Eagle COH really motivates folks. Best example of that is the Scout who cared less about advancement or Eagle, until as a 17 year old Star Scout he went to his first ECOH. Now he busting butt to finish Eagle.

But the #1 reason I wanted an ECOH was to thank everyone wh helped me on the way. A lot of folks got me to that point, and I needed to thank them. 

For me, seeing the Scouts I have worked with get their badge and medal is a thrill for me. So I like ECOHs

Now one of my friends waited 3 years to have his ECOH. He enlisted in the USAF, and when he got out had it. Another friend didn't have his ECOH. He also enlisted in the USAF, and just never got around to it. 

No matter how simple or elaborate a ceremony it is. It means something to all involved.

On a side note, one of the traditions in my troop growing up was "roasting" the Eagle by telling a humourous story from his younger days. Then moving on to how he has grown and matured over the years. We got to pick who was going to roast us, and I hope my son picks me when the time comes.🤪

15 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

On a side note, one of the traditions in my troop growing up was "roasting" the Eagle by telling a humourous story from his younger days. Then moving on to how he has grown and matured over the years. We got to pick who was going to roast us, and I hope my son picks me when the time comes.

That's a great tradition.  We do something similar.  After all of the accolades about how great the new Eagle is, the Scoutmaster asks if anyone wants to tell a story about him.  This usually turns into a gentle roast.

21 hours ago, eagle90 said:

After doing Eagle Scoutmaster Conferences for 30+ years, one of the questions I always asked was "When did you decide you wanted to become an Eagle?"  And one of the most popular responses was "When I was at so and so's Eagle COH."  So it is not only for the eagle candidate. but is a great inspiration for younger scouts.

Dale

This is why it really frustrates me when parents don't bother bringing their kids to the ECOH since their own child won't be receiving an award.  I mean, I get it, your family is busy.  But if just getting the kid there is a problem, then let someone know and we'll find them a ride.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, elitts said:

This is why it really frustrates me when parents don't bother bringing their kids to the ECOH since their own child won't be receiving an award.  I mean, I get it, your family is busy.  But if just getting the kid there is a problem, then let someone know and we'll find them a ride.

Until recently, I never encountered this problem. Growing up you were expected to be there. Heck I remember coming from a semi formal ring ceremony at HS with my girlfriend, then heading to an ECOH and changing into my uniform. As soon as the ceremony was over, changed back into coat and tie, and went to the ring dance.

Last ECOH I went to, was held at the Eagle's church instead of the CO, and his brother, who is an Eagle MC'd it. Very little involvement from the troop.