Den Leader Guides 2015 edition vs 2018

Hi There - 

Went to the scout shop yesterday for some awards for the pack - looked at getting new Den Leader Guides.  We pass them down from leader to leader (thrifty).

Didn't buy new ones last year (not in budget)  Its not in the budget this year either, but I will buy them for the pack if there have been substantial changes in the 2018 edition.  So, what besides the cover has really changed?  

I tried looking at them at the store but the manager says they keep them shrinkwrapped and if I wanted to look through it I would have to buy it.  which I understand to a point but they also wouldn't tell me other than the cover art matches what inside changed...

Could anyone let me know before I go spend $40 of my money on these for the pack?

This is a purely hypothetical question for me because so far our Pack has no female dens and no one has stepped up in our CO to start a female Scouts BSA troop, but does anyone know if there are rules regarding Den Chiefs having to be the same gender as the den?

19 minutes ago, T2Eagle said:

This is a purely hypothetical question for me because so far our Pack has no female dens and no one has stepped up in our CO to start a female Scouts BSA troop, but does anyone know if there are rules regarding Den Chiefs having to be the same gender as the den?

There are no such rules.  Unfortunately, I can't point you to anything expressly stating they are allowed either.  Needless to say, having a female Den Chief would trigger the requirement to have a female register leader present.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Momleader said:

I tried looking at them at the store but the manager says they keep them shrinkwrapped and if I wanted to look through it I would have to buy it.  which I understand to a point but they also wouldn't tell me other than the cover art matches what inside changed...

They are mostly the same, though the new ones incorporate the inclusive language (ie scouts rather than boys) and updated requirements. If it's a budgetary issue, then I wouldn't say its supper important (except the bear as it got the most change).

That said, if your unit uses scout book, the new login as den leader option allows you to grab a pdf of the leader's guide. It's not as useful as the physical copy, but it can let you see what has changed. (login as den leader, move/swipe left, click on leader's guide.) https://pigeonpost.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Webelos-Leader-Guide.pdf Is one example. You can change the file name to get the different versions. Note to mods, this isn't hidden or embargoed as near as I can tell, the scout book system appears to want the leader guides accessible. It's not like a cryptic illegal file sharing site.

1 hour ago, malraux said:

That said, if your unit uses scout book, the new login as den leader option allows you to grab a pdf of the leader's guide. 

Cool !   About time too.  This should be standard practice for all positions.  

You will definitely want to get the new Webelos guide, as it features the most changes in advancement requirements. Lion- Wolf are mostly cosmetic alterations, and Bear has had some changes in required/non-required adventures. However, I would still recommend buying at least one of each new guide just so your materials are in sync with the Scouts' books, which by now will be all-new editions as well.

IF you are using the old guides, I would recommend going to Macscouter.com and downloading the current Cub Scout requirements  http://usscouts.org/advancementTOC.asp#cubrank  That way you can modify your program guides

Apparently all of the requirements, except Bobcat, were changed September 1, 2018. So that is #3 since July 1, 2015 😑

ON A DIFFERENT NOTE, Glad youngest son's den followed the requirements in the book for AOL. Although the requirements look the same.😁