3 hours ago, thrifty said:

I realized my question might not have a simple answer but didn't intend for it to go so far off topic.  I will just accept that GSUSA probably doesn't want to be involved with World Organization of the Scout Movement.  I'm just curious about the dynamics of these various groups and how it all fits together.  Seems like the GSUSA would fit well with the more liberal point of view I've been seeing from European scouts on Facebook for the past year.

My family was only at WSJ on Sat. but we had a great time. No complaints for our one day.  Arrival and departure were easy and everyone was nice. 

Thrifty,

The GSUSA cannot be a member of WOSM but it is a member of WAGGGS. Not certain whether the BSA would be allowed to invite a WAGGGS member to a WOSM event (not taking a side - really have no idea). With the legal action and the decrees from GSUSA, it is not likely that they would have attended whether they could be or were invited. 

Vol_scouter

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Would love to see some pundits try to execute an event with this many moving parts if they have never been in charge of a 50,000+ person event, largely driven by a volunteer committee composed of peop

There were definitely some things that I would have preferred to show the world instead of big zips: Taking a cue from the WSJ in Sweden: Each subcamp and the fields around the main stage stack

I think if the bear was over 21, completed YPT, and registered with BSA it would have been okay. But, all signs indicated that we had yearlings approaching camps and trails. So, I had to find a scoute

7 hours ago, mashmaster said:

To change the mood, anyone else going to be at National Jambo in 2021?  I will be there.  I would love to meet y'all

To ask a possibly stupid question...can foreign johnnies muscle in on BSA national jamborees? Or is it pretty strict? Just an idle thought, I think flight costs may be very prohibitive. We got invited on to the Spanish National Jamboree a few years back and I'm always looking for something similar.

Have not heard much from my Explorers that are there, once the mobiles ran out of battery I guess. A few updates from units on social media. I know there was a post Jamboree UK contingent thing in Washington for a couple of days, including the aforementioned trip to a baseball game. Then our county's three units went to Canada to stay with scout troops up there. I think they're finally back in the UK a couple of days time, flying back from NYC.

2 hours ago, ianwilkins said:

To ask a possibly stupid question...can foreign johnnies muscle in on BSA national jamborees? 

Absolutely, there were several overseas contingents at the last 2017 NSJ. In fact, they were in Subcamp Echo or Foxtrot ( can’t remember which) and it was the place to be. 

When the site for the Jamboree comes out it should have info for you.

1 hour ago, HelpfulTracks said:

Absolutely, there were several overseas contingents at the last 2017 NSJ. In fact, they were in Subcamp Echo or Foxtrot ( can’t remember which) and it was the place to be. 

When the site for the Jamboree comes out it should have info for you.

@ianwilkins, follow Bryan's blog. He already made one post ... https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2019/05/31/theme-logo-for-2021-national-jamboree-will-invite-scouts-to-face-the-challenge/

Rollout of registration will be very soon. At least that's the scuttlebutt from my connections.

Truth: I am not a big convention fan. There were times in the last two weeks were I selected an out-of-the-way trail just for some quiet and to pick some blackberries or sassafras root ... or track a bear. Most of the time I met someone on the trail who was doing the same thing. Two-deep with a stranger of like mind is a good thing.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, qwazse said:

@ianwilkins, follow Bryan's blog. He already made one post ... https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2019/05/31/theme-logo-for-2021-national-jamboree-will-invite-scouts-to-face-the-challenge/

Rollout of registration will be very soon. At least that's the scuttlebutt from my connections.

Truth: I am not a big convention fan. There were times in the last two weeks were I selected an out-of-the-way trail just for some quiet and to pick some blackberries or sassafras root ... or track a bear. Most of the time I met someone on the trail who was doing the same thing. Two-deep with a stranger of like mind is a good thing.

A scouter, right? Not a bear.

Barry

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, qwazse said:

On another scout forum, they had a name for it, are you a backwoods Benny? Or a Jamboree Johnny? :)

And it sounds like even Jamboree Johnny's need a little me time. I can imagine it's pretty full on for two weeks, or more or less three weeks for the UK mob, with extra days at the start and end.

I wonder what South Korea will be like. A quick search suggests Summit is 57km2, while S.Korea will be 10km2. Japan was 3km2! I'd guess less emphasis on activities and more on that sort of global learning educational togetherness type stuff.

5 hours ago, ianwilkins said:

To ask a possibly stupid question...can foreign johnnies muscle in on BSA national jamborees?

Any chance I can join your troop and go with you? :) It would be cheaper. Better yet, can I join you for a European jamboree? It would still be cheaper than going to ours.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Eagledad said:

A scouter, right? Not a bear. ...

I think if the bear was over 21, completed YPT, and registered with BSA it would have been okay. But, all signs indicated that we had yearlings approaching camps and trails. So, I had to find a scouter -- or a second bear -- to avoid 1-on-1 contact. :ph34r:

• Haha 2

My apology for my earlier snarky e mail, please put it down to a very exhausting, but super time at the Jamboree.  I appreciate honest evaluation and critique, and all events can always be improved, but I was very inspired by the dedication of everyone to produce what by all measures is probably the best World Jamboree in history.  Hopefully, the small glitches will fade and the memories that remain will be significant and inspiring for the Scouts who attended.  

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Setonfan said:

My apology for my earlier snarky e mail, please put it down to a very exhausting, but super time at the Jamboree.  I appreciate honest evaluation and critique, and all events can always be improved, but I was very inspired by the dedication of everyone to produce what by all measures is probably the best World Jamboree in history.  Hopefully, the small glitches will fade and the memories that remain will be significant and inspiring for the Scouts who attended.  

No worries 🙂   

• Thanks 1