Eagle Project: Survival Kits

25 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Door stops are kept on her person. Purchased when one mom and student had a restraining order against dad. 

Unless the student's dad has a key to your classroom, the door locks should be sufficient to keep him out.

As a male teacher, I would not want to carry a door stop. Suspiciously minded people might speculate that I have it for the purpose of keeping other staff members and administrators from entering my classroom unannounced with their door keys. It's an idea I wouldn't want to put into anyone's head.

Edited by David CO

The idea is to harden the entry or entries to the classroom to the point where a shooter would be unable to shoot the locking mechanism off the door and begin slaughtering the students.  Who are presumably cowering under their desks.

It's not difficult to make deadbolts that can only be placed in locking mode with a key, and can be unlocked without one.  

In an active shooter situation the teacher has to shut and lock the door anyway so he can turn the key and slam the bolt home, then get out of the line of fire.

A pair of wedges aren't as strong, but far  far better than nothing assuming that the door opens into the classroom.

Better yet harden the entrance to the entire school.  Although the Parklawn shooter reportedly entered through an open door during a fire drill.

Edited by Oldscout448
1 hour ago, David CO said:

Besides that, classroom doors usually open outward towards the hallway. This prevents students from piling up at the door in an emergency (making it impossible to open). This actually happened once at a movie theater.

It can happen getting out, and it can happen getting in.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Who_concert_disaster - 11 dead in that case.

On 7/26/2019 at 2:09 PM, David CO said:

True. But I have never seen kids quite so eager to get into my classroom as they are to get out.

Ha.  But (and not to make light of a serious subject) I think bullets flying around would change the dynamic.

In any emergency (ANY emergency)  there are three possible responses:

1) Panic, cower, freeze because one cannot think what to do.

2)  Stay calm, consider the situation, consider the tools and possibilities at hand, think creatively as to what one might do and do it.

3)  Do what has been taught and practiced for just this type of occurrence, because somebody thought "what if..."  before hand. 

Scouting is all about number three, IMHO.  The more our Scouts have been led to consider the "what ifs", no matter how terrible the situation, the better they can deal with and help others out of THAT situation.

Car accidents, earthquakes, fires, splinters in the finger,  a math test not studied for,  active shooter,  somebody forgot the matches,  a girl joins my Troop, dead tree falls on the tent,  flash flood, "oh THAT's what poison ivy looks like....", electrocution at the Jamboree.....  We need to remember what has been said before....

"... why for any old thing."