Eagle Project: Survival Kits

Each of the buckets put together by Green and his troop contain two alcohol swabs, a blanket or bed sheet, two bottles of water, a fire extinguisher, 10 glucose tablets, a glass breaker or steel rod, eight golf balls, 10 feet of rope, two towels, two tampons and one whistle.
   Unconventional items like the golf balls and tampons have a specific purpose, Green said. Golf balls can be thrown at an intruder, while tampons can be used to stop bleeding from gunshot wounds, he said.
   “All these tools can be used however you see fit,” Green said.

IMHO, this needs more serious thought.  For the money, installing double deadbolt latches on classroom doors might be a more effective start. Check the measures which Israel has used to protect their schools in the last 50 years.

My $0.01,

When my daughter was teaching in a middle school just outside of Baltimore,  I offered to deadbolt the  classroom door top and bottom,   or failing that build and install a new door with hidden kevlar panels.   All for free.    Nope, not allowed.   Might cause the students to feel unsafe or worry that there might be bad people with guns in the world.   It seems that in the mind of the admins, a false sense of safety is more important than actually providing it.  This reasoning seems completely insane to me.  This was (and sadly still is) a part of town where drugs are everywhere and gunfire can be heard almost every night.   The students are not stupid, they know full well that anyone living there isn't safe.  But don't point this out to the school board lest they be shocked and horrified.

just passin by,  Oldscout

21 minutes ago, Oldscout448 said:

Nope, not allowed.   Might cause the students to feel unsafe or worry that there might be bad people with guns in the world.   It seems that in the mind of the admins, a false sense of safety is more important than actually providing it.  This reasoning seems completely insane to me.  

Deadbolts would be a violation of the school fire codes. The odds of a fire are much greater than a school shooting. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, David CO said:

Deadbolts would be a violation of the school fire codes. The odds of a fire are much greater than a school shooting. 

The first hit on a Google search confirms this.  https://northeastsecuritysolutions.com/why-security-professionals-oppose-classroom-door-barricades/ "As the NFPA safety code stands now, classroom levers must always open from the inside without a key. Classroom doors cannot have a separately operated deadbolt on them either, because in the case of a fire occupants may struggle with a lock."

Edited by NJCubScouter
8 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Wife got  $2 door stops to use in her class.

Interesting.  They are presumably on the inside of the door.  If the classroom has suddenly filled with smoke from a fire and the teacher has become temporarily incapacitated, one wonders whether a panicky child trying to open the door, when its mostly dark due to the smoke, is going to immediately realize why the door won't open.

1 hour ago, NJCubScouter said:

Interesting.  They are presumably on the inside of the door.  If the classroom has suddenly filled with smoke from a fire and the teacher has become temporarily incapacitated, one wonders whether a panicky child trying to open the door, when its mostly dark due to the smoke, is going to immediately realize why the door won't open.

I would imagine these door stops aren't in use unless an active shooter situation is ongoing.  I'm (thankfully) yet to hear of the school shooter who also attempts to torch the school down.

Besides, rooms don't tent to just suddenly fill with smoke.

1 minute ago, Pale Horse said:

I would imagine these door stops aren't in use unless an active shooter situation is ongoing.  I'm (thankfully) yet to hear of the school shooter who also attempts to torch the school down.

Besides, rooms don't tent to just suddenly fill with smoke.

Schools or any other building can catch fire with or without a criminal involved.

And no, rooms don't "tend to" just suddenly fill with smoke.  But do you think they never do?  I'm thinking worst-case scenario here.

28 minutes ago, Pale Horse said:

In which case the door stops won't be in use. 

I wouldn't want to give a misbehaving student an opportunity to lock me out of my classroom with a door stop. The teacher should always be able to unlock and open the classroom door with a key. The administrators should have a master key. A door stop is simply not a good idea. There are plenty of better ways to safely secure a classroom. Most of them require professional installation. 

Besides that, classroom doors usually open outward towards the hallway. This prevents students from piling up at the door in an emergency (making it impossible to open). This actually happened once at a movie theater.

Edited by David CO
  • Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, walk in the woods said:

Door stops/dead bolts would also be handy for anybody bent on violence against a particular target.  Enter the room, close the door, engage the stop....

Door stops are kept on her person. Purchased when one mom and student had a restraining order against dad. Only kids who know about them is my oldest.