Summer Camp during a heat wave

Last week was extremely brutal for staff. It was very hot and it was easily to get dehydrated. I believe the heat index was over 110 at one point. Staff still sleeps in the green canvas tents, but at least we have a electricity. I was glad I decided to bring a fan this year.  We had some nasty storms throughout the week which also made a impact on us. Outpost was harder than usual due to storms, but we still made do. This week is beautiful and perfect temperature, so I guess it’s a plus for this week. Only places in camp with AC is trading post, camp office, and health lodge. It doesn’t even really get cold, just a lower temp.

Edited by ItsBrian
  • Thanks 3
18 minutes ago, ItsBrian said:

Last week was extremely brutal for staff. It was very hot and it was easily to get dehydrated. I believe the heat index was over 110 at one point. Staff still sleeps in the green canvas tents, but at least we have a electricity. I was glad I decided to bring a fan this year.  We had some nasty storms throughout the week which also made a impact on us. Outpost was harder than usual due to storms, but we still made do. This week is beautiful and perfect temperature, so I guess it’s a plus for this week. Only places in camp with AC is trading post, camp office, and health lodge. It doesn’t even really get cold, just a lower temp.

Thanks for fighting the good fight this summer! Glad you and your fellow staff are hanging in there! 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Chadamus said:

Congrats, Brian! Would you do it again?

2 hours ago, WAKWIB said:

Glad you survived @ItsBrian!   Despite the conditions,  you made Scouting happen for a bunch of kids. I hope you return to be a staff man or a unit leader at your camp next year!

I’m not too sure. I work in the FYS program  and this was my 2nd year. I’m not sure if I will go back next year since I will be out of high school, but I will eventually if I don’t.