Court of Honor as described by BP

Most (all?) troops utilize the Court of Honor as a ceremony to bestow awards. I am curious if any utilize it as BP described it in Aids to Scoutmastership. To wit, "The Court if Honour, as its name implies, has a rather exceptional mission, such as dealing with cases of discipline and questions of awards."

I wonder how many discussions/controversies of this forum in regards to behavior and requirements could be mitigated by incororating BP's COH into the troop structure. Surely this would demonstrate a truly boy-led troop.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if BP envisioned BORs in the process. BORs used to be done by scouts, which is a variation of the COH that you are talking about. I been promoting "boy run" BORs since I've been an adult leader just for the reason you gave "Surely this would demonstrate a truly boy-led troop". In fact, we started including one older scout on our BOR.

I'm not sure where the present style of COHs were brought into the program, but they were the same in my troop during the 60s and 70s.

Barry

• Upvote 2
7 hours ago, DuctTape said:

"The Court if Honour, as its name implies, has a rather exceptional mission, such as dealing with cases of discipline and questions of awards."

I think. It would be a great goal. Maybe hard to reach. Maybe a lot of adult guidance. Yet maybe a lot of room for scouts to take over.

Sadly, National does not think the Scouts can handle it. Discipline is there realm of adults according to national.

And I don't think some Scouts could handle it. I remember the time when Scouts conducted BORs per national policy. My troop did it, and no problems. Talking to peers, one peer's troop didn't do it at all.  Another stated that it didn't work and described his negative experiences with the Scouts running his BOR. Considering he is a know it all and never wrong, he does not take well when folks try to talk and work with him.