What would it take for you to decline to advance a Scout after BoR?

Eagle BoR are different from other rank BoR in my district due to the fact that other rank BoR are done by persons that know the scout on the unit level whereas the members of the Eagle BoR  may not have ever had any dealing with the scout.  There have been many Eagle BoR that I have been a member of that the board as not even asked the scout to say the scout oath or the scout law.  But one question we almost always ask is one of the following.  " There are 12 scout laws if you had to remove one of the laws which one would you remove and give your reason why you would remove it for the law.' or what law would you add and give your reason."  There is no right or wrong answer but as a board we are trying to get a feel for the scouts thought process.    

7 minutes ago, ValleyBoy said:

Eagle BoR are different from other rank BoR in my district due to the fact that other rank BoR are done by persons that know the scout on the unit level whereas the members of the Eagle BoR  may not have ever had any dealing with the scout.  There have been many Eagle BoR that I have been a member of that the board as not even asked the scout to say the scout oath or the scout law.  But one question we almost always ask is one of the following.  " There are 12 scout laws if you had to remove one of the laws which one would you remove and give your reason why you would remove it for the law.' or what law would you add and give your reason."  There is no right or wrong answer but as a board we are trying to get a feel for the scouts thought process.    

I always found this to be the most interesting question by the EBOR because the answer typically shows how the scout feels about his culture, and often shows me that I (the scoutmaster) didn't know him as well as I thought I knew him. As was said, there is no right or wrong answer, but usually enlightening. At least for me.

Barry

Before every BoR I am in, I remind the members of the board that this is not a retest of the requirements of the rank. After the scout arrives, I ask the scout to recite the Oath and/or Law and I like the Scouters involved also state it with the scout (but it depends on who is there and what rank the scout is). Sometimes a new board member will look at me as if I've just gone back on my word about not doing a retest. 

Then I say, "This is not a test to see if you can recite the Oath and/or Law. This is to remind us all what a Scout abides by. In particular, in this Board of Review, we are called to remember the Oath and Law and conduct ourselves accordingly." 

• Upvote 1

I can only recall a couple of times where the BOR was suspended and advancement was held up.

The first time was when I first joined Boy Scouts in 1970. There was a Scout who was out to be the youngest Scout to make Eagle at the time. At his Eagle BOR he was deemed to not be mature enough for Eagle and told to come back in 6 months. His parents were mad because of this delay it would not make him the youngest Eagle. I can only remember him being there a couple time in the following 6 months. When he went back to the BOR he was awarded Eagle. We never saw him again.

The second one I remember was when my youngest first crossed over to the Troop. It was for the Life rank. BOR’s were scheduled during Troop meetings and the Scout had to request a BOR from the advancement chair. The Scout twice scheduled a BOR and didn’t show. The 3rd time he decided to go to an activity with a Cub Pack and showed up over an hour late. By this time the Committee members had left.

The 4th time when he went in to the BOR he got agitated that instead of the usual 3 people at the BOR there was 5. He demanded to know why there was 5 instead of the usual 3. He continued with this type of attitude and began belittling the BOR members for not waiting for him to get there for his last BOR.  The BOR was dismissed and he was told to return when his attitude changed. He ended up quitting the Troop that night and joining another. He did end up making Eagle in his new Troop but after being the Advisor of a Crew he was in his attitude hadn’t changed much.

I was part of an EBOR in which the conversation with the young man was not easy.  Most youth from this council wait until they are about to age out for their EBOR.  This was one of those cases.  It became evident really early the kid was really only doing scouts and trying for the eagle because of his father.  His father being an eagle scout really pushed the kid to get it as well.  While talking about the project and other scouting activities it always came down to "something his father pushed".  It almost seemed as all communication, activity planing, rank advancement was because of daddy.  It seemed the kid was just going along the ride and dad was pushing the agenda and work to do, even doing some of it himself.  During our vote I expressed my concern and really struggled with the group as to voting yes for the young man.  To me it appeared everything scouts was done through dad or dads choices.  Nothing really seemed to come from the young man.  The young man didn't choose what activities or project he wanted to do.  Why was this?  Why am I sensing this.  After talking with the committee, finding out a new project would be required, discussing what the rank means, using my own experience as a scout going through the process for my eagle, and working through the problem, I eventually came to the conclusion he met the requirements and voted for it.  It was a really tough choice for this young man to get it.  I hope the young man takes pride in the achievement and is able to grow into a fine adult from his experience in scouting.