What to wear as a day visitor to the World Jamboree?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What do you all recommend wearing as a day visitor to the World Jamboree?

• Full Field Uniform
    • Activity Uniform
    • Other, please specify

It will be hot, even if up in the mountains. Be comfortable.  If I was attending (which I cannot, mores the pity)I would wear my usual "activity" shirt and BSA shorts and wool socks and comfy hiking boots.  Scouty hat, sun glasses . And many extra neckers to trade.....    It is up and down, and spread out.  Oh, and a canteen of some sort.  Hydrate, hydrate....  Maybe a rain jacket in my daypack, just in case.... 

• Upvote 1

Just so you know, none of us are required to wear our field uniform except for arrival, departure, and religious services. Scout related activity shirts and our necker are the key components of participant uniforms.

I and my kids will be wearing wicking activity shirts, Scout shorts, and hiking boots on the day we visit.  No need to wear a field uniform--no one else will be. We'll purchase the visitor WSJ neckers upon arrival at the Trading Post.  We'll also be bringing sunscreen, hats, cooling towels and refillable water bottles.

I wore my field uniform when I visited the 2013 NSJ and I stuck out like a sore thumb, because no one else was wearing one--not to mention I soaked the shirt in about 10 minutes because it was so hot, and that was with a wicking shirt on underneath.

I hope you didn't misconstrue my comment as a 'vote' one way or another for a visitor. I abstained because:

1. It would never cross my mind to visit a Jamboree.
  2. The experience for a vistor is much different than a participant.
  3. The most important thing about welcoming the world is ... be welcoming.
  4. The most important thing about spending an August day in WV is ... beat the heat!

If you  can be welcoming and beat the heat in your uniform all day, go right ahead. If your kids would rather dress like they're spending a day at resident camp, go right ahead.

The good news is you have two days ... your family can do it differently each day.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey all.  We took a friend and her son with us to the Jambo on Thursday.  They had a great time!

Beckley is in the mountains.  The start of our day was a tad cool, but the fog/mist burned off pretty quick.  We didn't start to feel hot per se until later in the afternoon.  There were lots of water stations to refill once your water was drank or got kind of warm to drink.

Our Scouts went in their Field Dress (Class A) uniforms.  This made it easy for folks to see where we were from (National Capital Area Council) and thus strike up a conversation.  We saw a mix of some folks in their Class A's and some troops visiting in their own special class B's.  A troop ahead of us in line had bright orange ones and that made it easy for them to count to make sure they had all of their scouts.

Since most participants were in comfier clothing (no doubt keeping their Class A's clean for other activities), our boys stuck out in a crowd as well.  Some participants from other countries were interested in the merit badge sash one of our boys wore.

Be sure to go down to where all the Forestry service/Conservation tents are -- there are two badges to earn there.  Plus next to that, there was a tent where you could earn the Medal of Honor, billed as the rarest badge you could earn.

I met @Sentinel947 at Summit Central yesterday after my nap. (Oh the life of a contingent leader.) We just sat on a shady spot in the lawn and watched the variety of uniforms (mostly activity uniforms) come up the sidewalk. We then hit the trading post. Surprisingly, it was not terribly crowded.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1