I read Socrates quote, "I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think", and thought it would be a good Scouters Motto. If a motto works like a compass to keep our vision and actions on course, what would your Scouters Motto be?

Barry

• Upvote 2

I wish I could edit more as I bet I could come up with many or refine my thoughts.  Here are a few that I like.

• "Keep the outing in scouting" ...  My interpretation --> Focus on doing.   In doing, we create opportunities to teach and make a difference.
  • "Teach at all times.  Use words if necessary." ... My interpretation --> Our actions are our greatest teacher.  Flip side, too many "teaching" words kills the scout spirit.  ... Quote is often attributed to Francis of Assisi, but it may be a pairing down of their religious rules and not a real quote.  
  • Upvote 2
3 minutes ago, fred8033 said:

I wish I could edit more as I bet I could come up with many or refine my thoughts.  Here are a few that I like.

• "Keep the outing in scouting" ...  My interpretation --> Focus on doing.   In doing, we create opportunities to teach and make a difference.
  • "Teach at all times.  Use words if necessary." ... My interpretation --> Our actions are our greatest teacher.  Flip side, too many "teaching" words kills the scout spirit.  ... Quote is often attributed to Francis of Assisi, but it may be a pairing down of their religious rules and not a real quote.  

I like both of those!  

I think that keeping "the outing in scouting" grows to mean different things depending on the age of the boys.  At the cub level, it's often about the "go see it" kind of activities. Take the den someplace interesting and help widen the world view: might be a local fire station, maybe letting the boys take a stab at tossing a crust at the local pizzeria....just let 'em see and touch.  At the boy scout (Scouts BSA) level, I think it means to put as much emphasis as possible on the outdoors and to help them experience outdoor adventures that can challenge them.  At the explorer/venturer/sea scout level, it's to really trust the scouts and to encourage and enable them to do bigger, better, bolder adventures. (Maybe not outdoor adventures).

24 minutes ago, DuctTape said:

From BP's  Aids to Scoutmastership p. 3

"The Scoutmaster guides the boy in the spirit of an older brother."

Realistically, we can't have that sort of relationship with the boys anymore. The YP rules prohibit it. 

6 hours ago, qwazse said:

Another: "Never let them know that you can hear them."

How about this variant: Never let them smell the fear! :)

1 minute ago, David CO said:

Realistically, we can't have that sort of relationship with the boys anymore. The YP rules prohibit it. 

Truth.  YP doesn't even allow for older boys acting like older brothers anymore.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, David CO said:

To be fair to BP he did not say have a big brother relationship, but to guide "in the spirit of".

Jeep's 8 Scouter Rules....1) It's a Scout led program.   2) Never do anything  a Scout can do for themselves.  3)  The Troop Leader is the Senior Patrol Leader.  4)  The Patrol Method works ! 5)  It is a game with a purpose.   6) Fail to plan and you plan to fail.   7) A Scout is Taught,  Tested, Reviewed and Recognized.  8.  The trail to Eagle is a trail, not a destination….

Edited by SSScout
16 hours ago, DuctTape said:

To be fair to BP he did not say have a big brother relationship, but to guide "in the spirit of".

A thought occurred to me (kind of an aside):  in this era of institutional abuse allegations and a pervasive breakdown in trust, I wonder how organizations like Big Brother/Big Sister can cope.  Seems to me their whole organization is built around the idea of fostering 1-on-1 relationships between adults and kids so that kids can grow up with mentors and positive role models.  That sure wouldn't work in BSA where YPT rules would completely nix such an approach.  Anybody know anything about Big Brothers / Big Sisters programs???