Summit to offer Wood Badge for linked troops

6 minutes ago, walk in the woods said:

That's true in the latrines/showers in the camp sites.  I don't know that it's true at the training center.

National said no hot water ANYWHERE at the Summit. So I assume that includes training center.

Hopefully that has changed. 

On 7/16/2019 at 5:43 AM, Eagle94-A1 said:

National said no hot water ANYWHERE at the Summit. So I assume that includes training center.

When hot water is outlawed, only outlaws will have hot water.

• Haha 2
4 hours ago, mrkstvns said:

When hot water is outlawed, only outlaws will have hot water.

Actually the #1 selling item at jamboree, the one they could not keep in stock in the trading post, was solar showers. i could see my middle son, the entrepreneur, renting out a solar shower for 15 minutes. This is the guy who sold a "poncho" a garbage bag with holes in it, for a dollar at summer camp one year. 

Edited by Eagle94-A1
3 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

This is the guy who sold a "poncho" a garbage bag with holes in it, for a dollar at summer camp one year. 

Sounds like a very reasonable price if the rain is like it was here yesterday.  (Horizontally flying walls of water.)

4 hours ago, NJCubScouter said:

Sounds like a very reasonable price if the rain is like it was here yesterday.  (Horizontally flying walls of water.)

He got it for free by asking someone in the dining hall for one.  Walks onto the porch and sells it.

• Haha 1
On 7/15/2019 at 1:52 PM, Eagledad said:

I kind of felt like this is more of how to run a linked program

On 7/15/2019 at 6:14 PM, SubSM said:

While this Wood Badge course is not outdoors, I believe it will help each of us lead our troops, including the special challenges of having two troops under one roof.

The linked-troop aspect is what makes this particular wood badge so interesting.  It will be interesting to see what model or models BSA is promoting for how linked troops should function.  What I saw at summer camp this summer, seeing the linked troops there, was that different troops were doing things very differently.  In one troop the boy scouts (middle schoolers or young high schoolers) I talked with thought that their troop had simply added a girls patrol -- these boy scouts had absolutely no idea that the girls had to be registered as a separate troop.   For another linked troop pair, the girls' troop and the boys' troop had different troop numbers, were in different campsites, arrived at different times, brought different adults with them, and functioned completely separately at camp.

On 7/15/2019 at 5:18 PM, NJCubScouter said:

An indoor Wood Badge course AT A HIGH ADVENTURE BASE is just nuts. 

On 7/15/2019 at 6:14 PM, SubSM said:

January in the mountains sounds like lots of fun outdoors, at least for me, but I am sure there are many who wouldn’t enjoy it near as much.

January is not prime camping time in my part of the country.  Rather convenient to do wood badge at a time of year when it will not cut into prime weekends to spend camping with the troop. 

If my Troop is able to make it back to Summit and I can attend, frankly the last thing I would want to be doing is sitting in a classroom doing a wood badge program.  I would prefer to be with my son and his troop taking advantage of their fantastic outdoor offerings.  Just my $0.02. 

I guess my thought process would be:

1. - Would I like to take Wood Badge?
  2. - Would I like to take a version targeted around linked troops?
  3. - Would I like to take that course in a place like the Summit as opposed to my local camp?
  4. - Am I willing to spend $500?

If I were in the market for a Wood Badge course and I was involved with a linked troop, I think I'd consider it.  At this point in my Scouting career this isn't for me, but at a different time maybe.

From an earlier post, sounds like they've got a wait list so it sounds like there's some interest.

On July 24, 2019 at 9:18 AM, SubSM said:

Well. My wife and I are on the waitlist. But I think it's a long one. So no cold showers for this guy at SBR anytime soon.

"Ambient temperature" as a friend reminded me when I reported that night #1 at Jambo was pocked with multicultural screams of souls subjecting their hides to such water for the first time. Such is life when you've been assigned a site adjacent a shower house.

• Haha 3

@qwazse that must have been a fun experience.

I find it odd that SBR doesn't have water heaters, when our camp here in CT has water heaters for the campsite showers. Luckily my wife has been moved up off the waitlist, so she will get the experience of 'ambient temperature' showers.... I am still waiting for my chance.

Mike

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, SubSM said:

@qwazse that must have been a fun experience.

I find it odd that SBR doesn't have water heaters, when our camp here in CT has water heaters for the campsite showers. Luckily my wife has been moved up off the waitlist, so she will get the experience of 'ambient temperature' showers.... I am still waiting for my chance.

Well, "fun" in a sleep-depriving sort of way. There's no doubt that people conserved water. After night 1, the shrieks subsided and everyone was braced for the "hit". It sounded like the girls from Kent made a game of it. At least they were the loudest. Of course absent from the field were US girls, whose utterances in my experience best anyone in volume!

What was really annoying was the lighting in those houses spilled over onto the back of my tent. That took getting used to. Then, the youth, once they got to know one another would congregate around the lit areas! Their noise didn't anger me nearly as much as their stupidity. I mean, back in my day, if I wanted to stay up all night talking, I would be sure to either whisper, and/or relocate someplace other than 10 yards from my leader's tent.:mad:

The staff camps had solar water heaters. I'm sure it's all a matter of return on investment. What was really missing from participant camps was convenient and reliable charging stations. It wouldn't surprise me if at the next campsite we see Amazon drones delivering propane fuel cells with 40 port USB chargers to each campsite.

1 hour ago, qwazse said:

Well, "fun" in a sleep-depriving sort of way. There's no doubt that people conserved water. After night 1, the shrieks subsided and everyone was braced for the "hit". It sounded like the girls from Kent made a game of it. At least they were the loudest. Of course absent from the field were US girls, whose utterances in my experience best anyone in volume!

Yep! 🙄

1 hour ago, qwazse said:

What was really annoying was the lighting in those houses spilled over onto the back of my tent. That took getting used to. Then, the youth, once they got to know one another would congregate around the lit areas! Their noise didn't anger me nearly as much as their stupidity. I mean, back in my day, if I wanted to stay up all night talking, I would be sure to either whisper, and/or relocate someplace other than 10 yards from my leader's tent.:mad:

Reminds me of our flight to Europe last year. Note to Travel Agent (Miss Barry), no seats near the bathrooms/kitchen(alcohol) area.

Barry

• Haha 1
  • 2 months later...

I first attended WB in 1982, SE-293.  I then attended WB for 21st Century, and is was very different from the last course.  I have also participated in many courses and they were all a little different.  I am going to attend the Summit course in Jan 2020 as a participant and I'm sure that it will be quite different from the first 2 courses that I  attended. No matter if you took the Explorer Leader course at Schiff or the newest of the new course at the Summit,  they all provide an enjoyable and informative training opportunity. 

• Upvote 1