Summit to offer Wood Badge for linked troops

If there's a new wrinkle on BSA troops, there might as well be a new adult leadership course on managing the wrinkles...

Wood Badge for Linked Troops
at the Summit in January 2020
$490 per participant

Story:
https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2019/06/05/linked-troop-wood-badge-course-at-sbr-will-blaze-a-new-trail-for-training/

https://bsa-20-1.com/ 

Odd that a program that was built on the outdoors, with that outside emphasis being a differentiator in the crowded marketplace that serves youth, is ever so slowly (actually not so slowly) being pushed to the back of the offerings.  Not saying you have to camp every week but if you purport to be a trained leader in Scouts BSA you should embrace the concept of the outdoor adventure and you maybe should have actually camped at some point so you have that experience and understand how that works.

We go outside, we go do STUFF, we go have FUN.  

Edited by Jameson76
  • Upvote 2

I found it odd that they called it WoodBadge. I kind of felt like this is more of how to run a linked program than how to run a scouting program. Prerequisite would be running the present troop with getting the new recent changes.

Barry 

1 hour ago, Jameson76 said:

Odd that a program that was built on the outdoors, with that outside emphasis being a differentiator in the crowded marketplace that serves youth, is ever so slowly (actually not so slowly) being pushed to the back of the offerings.  Not saying you have to camp every week but if you purport to be a trained leader in Scouts BSA you should embrace the concept of the outdoor adventure and you maybe should have actually camped at some point so you have that experience and understand how that works.

We go outside, we go do STUFF, we go have FUN.  

49 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

I found it odd that they called it WoodBadge. I kind of felt like this is more of how to run a linked program than how to run a scouting program. Prerequisite would be running the present troop with getting the new recent changes.

Barry 

On facebook there were comments about the lack of outdoors experiences in this "Wood Badge" course, and many people have no issue with no camping and outdoor skills being used for the course. In fact some folks were praising the lack of outdoors since it would open it up for those volunteers who do not like camping.

57 minutes ago, Eagledad said:

I found it odd that they called it WoodBadge. 

Not odd at all - that way they can charge  $499.99.

Well, a bit cynical but I always thought it was the councils that get to profit on training. 

44 minutes ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

In fact some folks were praising the lack of outdoors since it would open it up for those volunteers who do not like camping.

Just what were these highly trained folks planning on doing with their training?

• Upvote 1

@mrkstvns thank you for sharing. My wife and I are scoutmasters for our respective linked troops. While this Wood Badge course is not outdoors, I believe it will help each of us lead our troops, including the special challenges of having two troops under one roof. 

January in the mountains sounds like lots of fun outdoors, at least for me, but I am sure there are many who wouldn’t enjoy it near as much. Waking up to snow on our tents is always a pleasant surprise.

Mike

37 minutes ago, SubSM said:

January in the mountains sounds like lots of fun outdoors, at least for me, but I am sure there are many who wouldn’t enjoy it near as much. Waking up to snow on our tents is always a pleasant surprise.

Mike

Unless things have changed, those going will be surprised that there is no hot water at the Summit. When The Summit announced that they will only have "ambient temperature" showers, I said it would be mistake when it came time for winter training ans sessions.

11 hours ago, Eagle94-A1 said:

Unless things have changed, those going will be surprised that there is no hot water at the Summit. When The Summit announced that they will only have "ambient temperature" showers, I said it would be mistake when it came time for winter training ans sessions.

That's true in the latrines/showers in the camp sites.  I don't know that it's true at the training center.