Invitation only camp out

As part of reaching a certain goal our popcorn committee is considering having a camp out for those selling a certain dollar amount.  I know that dens cannot have their own separate camp out (except webelos), it must be a pack event.  Can a portion of the pack, including all dens, have an overnight camp out with invitation based on reaching a fundraising goal? 

I have mixed feelings.  I can see covering costs based on how much is earned, but not sure if it should if reaching an amount should be required for an event.

I would absolutely not put that in place.   A special camp out for those that sold seems wrong.  Pack program should be for everyone.  Packs have a hard time doing one or two pack camp outs a year.  I fear an invite only campout would not be an "addition" but rather a limit that reduces opportunity.    

Most importantly, those-that-camp may not always be good fundraisers.  And, those-that-fundraise may not always want to camp.   

Incentives are important.  Boys (and parents) compete for incentives, but this is a badly matched incentive.

• Like 1

"It depends" . . . 

It is done, just depends on how structured.  Way back in the day, while I worked on my "Eohippus Husbandry Merit Badge",  our Troop of four Patrols (Eagle, Moose, Beaver, Cougar) had a Patrol Competition thru the year.  There was a chart on the wall. points were awarded for uniform inspection, attendance ,  advancement,  service projects,  all sorts of Scouty things as I remember.  The prize was a "all expense paid" camping trip to Assateague Island on the shore. Back then, that was a big thing ! No bridge yet, ferry boat ride,  rough road thru the dunes,  trek over the dunes with water cans (bury them in the sand for cooling),  tents and cooksets.    The Scout dads footed the bill and catered (!) the meals. Us Scouts only had to  help schlep the gear out to the beach.  Deer flies were an understood problem.... Each year the Patrols fairly drooled over the chance.   Eagles did win one year....

So if the winning Den is judged by SELLING record, that may work, but realize some folks can sell icebergs  to Inuit. Is there a way to "make it fair"?   That is the question.    

NO, especially at the Cub Scout  level.

At the Scout level, some people would call putting a rank requirement to attend and a mandatory prep trip an "Invitation Only" event. But in reality it is a way of making a trip more successful for those attending. Trust me, there is a reason why First Class Rank is required for HA activities.

I can tell you that my son often had many different fundraisers going on in the same month or same season. He had to pick and choose which group to support so that he didn't overwhelm/burnout his customer base. Where did he sell? Neighborhood, Church, and Family/Friends. My son found out that our Church was a goldmine for some groups he was in because he was the only kid his age who regularly attended. He even worked out quotas and stopped selling when he met them, focusing on the next group instead. 

So yes, some years he was the top seller for scouts. Other years, he only hit those who had stated they wanted popcorn or sausage from him when he sold. Same with band and baseball etc. He even split where he went based upon those quotas, selling X to this group and Y to that group. 

It isn't that he didn't want to support Scouting or whatever in his fundraising efforts. He couldn't do it all. He realized that himself early on and felt guilty about hitting folks up all the time. He even saw what happened if he over sold to his base. 

My point? It isn't always a great idea to award that effort because you don't know what all that scout is doing in their lives. And in some cases, Scout A may have a better market base than Scout B not because they sell better, but because they have a secret gold mines or live in a neighborhood that supports them more. 

And to contradict myself, it can be worth while to have some sort of award and recognition. Just don't change it suddenly. We saw that happened where one year the kid who was the #1 got all sorts of special awards/recognition which motivated another to do the same next year earn the same achievement and got nothing. You can bet that the kid who experienced that wasn't so keen on doing anything. 

• 2 weeks later...

Council runs an invite-only event at the end of the popcorn campaign for those that sold $1200; usually an advance screening of a new movie or tickets to an indoor waterpark. I see no reason why a pack shouldn't be able to do the same.