Quick: Are Crocs closed toe enough for camp?

I bought my two sons some Crocs (closed toe but holey) today for camp wear, along with sneakers/hikers.  Do you think these are closed-toe enough?  This is a last-minute question, I can return them to the store or send them up to camp.  We'll make our best guess.  I can go exchange for non-hole Crocs as well.

Thanks!

For our camp and our troop those would be fine.  My crocs, which I wear around the campsite but not really for trucking all over summer camp, are they type which have a heel strap and so would, I think, satisfy Treflienne's concerns.

Personally, I love my Crocs, but I’m not a fan of them for camping.

They are too soft to offer real protection and tend to get slippery (inside the shoe) when wet.

They are more expensive, but my whole family uses Keens. As much as we camp though, it’s been worth the cost. We would have worn out several pairs of Crocs at this point, and I can’t count the number of times they have saved toes from protruding rocks and roots.

I realize this is not quick and very probably late. 

For me it isn't so much that toes are covered, but the heels have to be covered too. Shower shoes are worn in the showers. Aquatic shoes at the aquatics area. Other than that, snakes prefer that you don't wear things that might stop them. Exposed heels are a target that gets them achievement points and bragging rights. Especially when you're stepping off of a platform. Who knows what evil lurks under those platforms. The Shadow knows. 

Not saying that if you wear good shoes/boots covering your total foot you won't always escape injury or wildlife situations, but why take chances. 

On 7/12/2019 at 6:27 PM, WisconsinMomma said:

I bought my two sons some Crocs (closed toe but holey) today for camp wear, along with sneakers/hikers.  Do you think these are closed-toe enough?  This is a last-minute question, I can return them to the store or send them up to camp.  We'll make our best guess.  I can go exchange for non-hole Crocs as well.

Thanks!

More than likely, no. IMHO, they are great, but I have been chastized at Scout events for that view.  I actually can't imagine a better camp shoe than crocs (provided the crocs don't have worn out soles). 

When I was a Scout leader, though, I wore closed toed sandals for summer camp. Yes, I also carried boots.  I liked crocs for backpacking. They are great for stream crossings and to wear around a camp site.  

Edited by perdidochas
On 7/13/2019 at 9:03 AM, HelpfulTracks said:

Personally, I love my Crocs, but I’m not a fan of them for camping.

They are too soft to offer real protection and tend to get slippery (inside the shoe) when wet.

They are more expensive, but my whole family uses Keens. As much as we camp though, it’s been worth the cost. We would have worn out several pairs of Crocs at this point, and I can’t count the number of times they have saved toes from protruding rocks and roots.

I'd concur.  I routinely wear Keens for general time around camp.  If I were backpacking - that would be different.  But, around a summer camp they work great.  Yes, they are more expensive - but in my opinion worth it.

Since it was brought up, our council's camping rules for camps specifically talks about Crocs are ok at the waterfront and showers.  This is for council owned properties.  It also says no sheath knives in camps.  National doesn't chime in on either, but GTSS is a must with intent met.  As I scouted in Panama, Hawaii, Canada, and Switzerland, I am still a proponent for a machete.  How this differs from a sheath knife, I don't know besides size.  We even used them to cut snow blocks in Alaska for igloos.  We used to carry one machete per patrol.  No thumbs or toes hacked off so far (knock on wood).