Delivering fresh donuts is an easy and time-honored way for scout units to raise cash....but when I looked into it myself, I had to laugh at the irony of one of the "Customer Success Stories" in Krispy Kreme's fundraising brochure:   a Police Explorer post with 15 active explorers sold 600 boxes of donuts....oh, the perpetuation of stereotypes!

Krispy Kreme brochure:
https://images.kktestkitchen.com/fundraising/FormsFAQGenericEnglishOrderForm.pdf 

For real.... That was my Troop's fund raiser for many years. 

Early on a Saturday morning, a Troop dad drove his station wagon down to the Silver Spring KK factory.  About 6:30am,  the Troop assembled in the church parking lot to meet this delivery.  Each pair (!) of Scouts and their parent driver, took on , oh, maybe 20 or 30 or 40  dozen donuts and drove off into the neighborhoods. Back then, homes were fewer and farther apart, as I remember.  In uniform, we went up to the door and knocked. 

Generally caught by surprise at 7:30am on a Saturday morning,  folks, some with coffee cup in hand, some in bathrobe,  were easily willing to buy  a dozen donuts  "to support the Scouts".  "JANET ?  YOU GOT YOUR PURSE HANDY?  THERE'S A SCOUT HERE AT THE DOOR SELLING DONUTS !"  rarely were we politely refused.

Some bought 2 or 3 dozen, "to freeze". .  By 10am or so, the back seat was no longer smelling of fried sweet bread.

We did this about every other month.  "Where were you last Saturday?. I was HUNGRY ! !"   I truly believe we could have done this every other Saturday on a regular basis, but even the parents realized us Scouts had other things to do.....

Edited by SSScout
  • Upvote 1
13 hours ago, mrkstvns said:

a Police Explorer post with 15 active explorers sold 600 boxes of donuts....oh, the perpetuation of stereotypes!

...and never left the police station. ;)

Was at a fairly large camp last year and there were some police there doing a demonstration and general community stuff, and one came rocking up to the others with a big bag of fresh donuts...made me smile too.

Edited by ianwilkins
  • Haha 1
  • 7 months later...
On 7/11/2019 at 2:31 PM, SSScout said:

For real.... That was my Troop's fund raiser for many years. 

Early on a Saturday morning, a Troop dad drove his station wagon down to the Silver Spring KK factory.  About 6:30am,  the Troop assembled in the church parking lot to meet this delivery.  Each pair (!) of Scouts and their parent driver, took on , oh, maybe 20 or 30 or 40  dozen donuts and drove off into the neighborhoods. Back then, homes were fewer and farther apart, as I remember.  In uniform, we went up to the door and knocked. 

Generally caught by surprise at 7:30am on a Saturday morning,  folks, some with coffee cup in hand, some in bathrobe,  were easily willing to buy  a dozen donuts  "to support the Scouts".  "JANET ?  YOU GOT YOUR PURSE HANDY?  THERE'S A SCOUT HERE AT THE DOOR SELLING DONUTS !"  rarely were we politely refused.

Some bought 2 or 3 dozen, "to freeze". .  By 10am or so, the back seat was no longer smelling of fried sweet bread.

We did this about every other month.  "Where were you last Saturday?. I was HUNGRY ! !"   I truly believe we could have done this every other Saturday on a regular basis, but even the parents realized us Scouts had other things to do.....

What was the markup per dozen? Did you get any discounts from Krispy Kreme that added to your profits?

I have also been curious to the profit margin on KK.    In our district there are 2 standing KK stores that do pretty good business so customers have the availability for fresh doughnuts if they get the vouchers. 

Funny story on the cops/doughnuts line.   My brother is an Eagle Scout and now a cop.    He and my husband were out one day and decided to get some doughnuts.   My husband said I bet you like them because you get them for free (my brother is very thrifty!).   My brother said "Contrary to what you believe, we do not get free doughnuts."  They pull around to the p/u window and he tries to pay and the man said "Nope, they are free.  Your money is no good here.  Please take them."  My husband started laughing.  My brother probably wished the floor of his cop car would have opened up and swallowed him into the hole.   :laugh:

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, Jackdaws said:

I have also been curious to the profit margin on KK.    In our district there are 2 standing KK stores that do pretty good business so customers have the availability for fresh doughnuts if they get the vouchers. 

Way Way back in the day we bought them for Fraternity fundraising.  We had to buy like 200 dozen, and we paid $1 per dozen and sold them for $2 per dozen.  Not sure we ever sold the entire 200 but we did sell about 175 or so, thus turning a pretty good profit

Also if you leave the remainder in the chapter room for a couple of days they get hard and you can have an epic donut war....

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
On 2/18/2020 at 1:32 PM, Beccachap said:

What was the markup per dozen? Did you get any discounts from Krispy Kreme that added to your profits?

I have no idea.  This was back in 1960 to 1965.  I guess a 1960 Ford Country Squire might hold two hundred  dozen donuts, maybe three station wagons full ...… Mr. Richardson, Mr. Allen, Mr. DiNunno, Mr. MacDaniels……    You do the math.....

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2020 at 12:32 PM, Beccachap said:

Here is a chart from Krispy Kreme that might help you get an idea as to how much profit you could make...

image.png.3e2cc3450d587c85c632c5c2dff22905.png